Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
jdh
Enthusiast
jdh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle3, Voyage
best dictionary in an epub reader?

I have a Sony 505 and like it, but am interested in a second reader with a good dictionary interface. My lazy approach to unfamiliar words is to make a vague guess at meaning based on context, instead of making the effort to get out of my chair (which would also usually displace a cat) and consult a paper dictionary. I would appreciate suggestions and advice on an epub compatible reader with excellent dictionary support.
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Does the 505 have a touchscreen and dictionaries? I have a Sony 650 and the dictionaries are excellent, and it's so easy to just double tap on a word. Then, if you don't know a word in the definition, you can tap on that word!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think that people agree that the Sony has the best dictionary, it is a double tap on the word, the Kindle the second, scroll up to the word, and Nook Classic the third. I have no idea how to navigate to a word on the Nook but plenty of posts have said it is not intuitive. I have no idea about the Kobo or any of the other e-readers out there.

I have not read posts about how the Nook Color uses its dictionary so I cannot comment on it.

The better question is what do you want a second e-reader to do? If you have a Sony, then you have an e-reader that can read in the EPub world. Do you want something with color for pictures and magazines, then look at the Nook Color. If you want to have access to Amazon stores more easily, then get a K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
bambi
Enthusiast
bambi began at the beginning.

Device: HX4700 Je100 EkenM003 WPDN NookColor
The latest version of FBReader on Android has a very nice dictionary support. You just long press on the word and release. You can also select an offline (Color Dict) or online (freeDictionary.org) dictionary, both are free. I use it on my Android phone and am very happy.
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
If you want an eInk device, my recommendation is one of the new Sonys. As ProfCrash said, it's just a double tap on the word to look it up. This brings up a small window at the bottom of the screen with the pronunciation and the definition. If you want more information, there's a button you can press to bring the dictionary up to full screen.

Very nice! I find myself using it all the time--even for words I'm pretty sure I know the definition for.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Oasis 6", Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, etc.
Smile

The new Sonys are great! I didn't expect this from Sony, but they have fantastic dictionaries. I already have a Kindle 2 but I couldn't resist the Sony Pocket Edition. If there is a Borders near you you should be able to try one out there.

I have to add that the Kindle's dictionary functionality is excellent. Kindle inherited that from Mobipocket Reader, and it's very intuitive. In my experience the Kindle is a little bit better than the Sonys at going immediately to the correct entry. Both the new Sonys and the Kindle 3 come with the New Oxford American Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionary of English. These are very similar to each other, but the latter emphasizes British English. If you need translation dictionaries, you'll want a Sony. The Sonys have built-in, high-quality Spanish, French, Italian, German and Dutch dictionaries. Each of these is [language] <--> English, for 10 translation dictionaries in all.
diamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
This is slightly off topic, but I am curious about something, so here goes. Can you buy added dictionaries for the Kindle? What about the Sony?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

You can buy some dictionaries for the Kindle. A number of Merriam-Webster dictionaries are available in the Kindle Store, as is the Chambers Spanish-English Dictionary. I understand that the automatic lookup feature doesn't necessarily work properly for these, however, which means that you may have to enter words manually to look them up.

I don't believe it's possible to add dictionaries to the Sonys.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
There are all kinds of dictionaries available for the Kindle. I imagine the same is true for Sony.

On the Kindle, it's a simple task to change the default dictionary.

Edit: It appears that diamante is correct. The Sony does not allow additional dictionaries by default. I'm surprised to learn that since the Sony is so capable.

Last edited by speedlever; 01-25-2011 at 07:02 AM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
diamante
piedra preciosa

Thumbs up

By the way, the Sony Reader Pocket has just gone on sale for $129 at Sony Style, Amazon and elsewhere.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
There are all kinds of dictionaries available for the Kindle. I imagine the same is true for Sony.
No, you can't add dictionaries to Sony and I'm afraid the reason is very easy. There's a standard definition for a Mobipocket dictionary, but none for an ePub dictionary, so you CAN'T BUY ePub dictionaries.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Been wanting to hear Kindle and Sony owners debate this one for a while now. "Only through debate is truth found." My understanding is that the Sony PRSs come with multi-lingual dictionaries pre-installed thus if muli-lingual dictionaries is a nice function but not critical then a kindle is a good idea. But if you really need the multi-lingual dictinaries then perhaps the Sony PRS is a better idea. My premise here has always been "No reader can be everything to all people."
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
No, you can't add dictionaries to Sony and I'm afraid the reason is very easy. There's a standard definition for a Mobipocket dictionary, but none for an ePub dictionary, so you CAN'T BUY ePub dictionaries.
I'm not sure what you mean by standard definition for Mobipocket dictionaries, can you explain?
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
jdh
Enthusiast

Does anyone know what dictionary Sony uses? The Kindle feature of allowing the user to select the dictionary is very tempting, but my ebook library is mostly epub and I think Kindle still doesn't support that format. I know format conversion is possible but would rather not have to.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
jdh
Enthusiast

Woops. I just noticed the answer to my question in an earlier post. Sorry.

Tags
dictionary, epub, ereader