Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Acer introducing hi-res LCD tablets

Engadget:

"Available April 2011
7" Android Tablet: the epitome of mobility
Don't be fooled by its ultra-compact size: the 7" tablet is fully featured and takes your mobile experience to the next level. On the 7" (1280x800) 16:10 aspect ratio full touch screen, you can enjoy games, photos, videos while keeping up with your emails or your favourite social networks. "

That's a 7" device with 215dpi, 25% higher than eInk at 6" - finally some new display tech that's going in the right direction. All the fluff (camera, fast processor, etc) will make it costly and eat battery, but it'll be interesting to see how well it renders text.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
I love the resolution. It's almost perfect for www and reading documents. For books probably too. I would choose the 10'' one though.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
You couldn't give me an Acer product even if you paid me to take it. I've had two Aspire Ones die on me and have had problems with the desktop I have. The keyboard and mouse that came with the desktop were junk. I immediately replaced them for a year with the seven year old keyboard and mouse I had from my old computer.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Engadget:

"Available April 2011
7" Android Tablet: the epitome of mobility
Don't be fooled by its ultra-compact size: the 7" tablet is fully featured and takes your mobile experience to the next level. On the 7" (1280x800) 16:10 aspect ratio full touch screen, you can enjoy games, photos, videos while keeping up with your emails or your favourite social networks. "

That's a 7" device with 215dpi, 25% higher than eInk at 6" - finally some new display tech that's going in the right direction. All the fluff (camera, fast processor, etc) will make it costly and eat battery, but it'll be interesting to see how well it renders text.
If they do subpixel rendering in the software, it'll be a hell of a lot higher than E-Ink, which has no RGB subpixels.

If it does text well and has a decent battery and isn't a sloth, it'd be pretty ideal for me. I just have a nasty feeling that it'll have a 5-hour battery life.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
somebody using 16:10 about time!
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
somebody using 16:10 about time!
+1
Waaaay past time!

The size and the screen is a great start. Now to see if they price it right.
Better yet, let's see a Win7 version.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
1280X800 would support HD 720P video (1280X720). Though I am trying to imagine what HD would look like on a 7" screen compared to my 120" projector screen. But on the other hand, an HDMI port may be able to make it a 120" e-reader in a very dark room.

Last edited by ppw; 11-24-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Edit
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Five months away... the whole world of tablets will be changed by then. Five months in computer life is like three or four years...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
You couldn't give me an Acer product even if you paid me to take it. I've had two Aspire Ones die on me and have had problems with the desktop I have. The keyboard and mouse that came with the desktop were junk. I immediately replaced them for a year with the seven year old keyboard and mouse I had from my old computer.
One of my business contacts (who is in the computer business) says Acer causes him less problems than a lot of other more expensive brands. This is in Australia, so I wonder if there are differences in power supplies (we use 240V) or something like that?
The new product sounds good, but I will still prefer non-backlit e-ink for serious reading.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
+1
Waaaay past time!

The size and the screen is a great start. Now to see if they price it right.
Better yet, let's see a Win7 version.
I think the bar was set by Apple, and followed closely by Samsung. I think it'll take someone like Asus to break that price point.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote