Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Will there be a new version coming out soon?

Hi Everyone,

I'm very tempted to buy a 2nd Edition iLiad. The Book Edition doesn't have the touchscreen, which would be a drawback for me, as I really like the idea of using the iLiad for the odd note. The new 10.4" Digital Reader is a little bigger than I'm interested in. So that leaves me the 2nd Edition.

However, I'm aware that the 2nd Edition is about a year old now.

I was wondering if there was going to be a newer version? If so, when and if so, what improvements, if any, would be made? Hopefully these aren't dumb questions that have been asked over and over again, if so, please direct me to the threads

Thanks in advance.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The iLiad book edition does have a touch screen. The only thing that it's lacking is the Wifi connection.

I very much doubt that iRex is going to come out with a new hardware revision for the iLiad. The iLiad's now their stable, solid product. The DR is likely what they're focusing their development and R&D on.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not found the WiFi to be very useful on the iLiad, so unless you have an application that you know already works on the 2nd edition I would go for the book edition. Note that iRex has indicated that there are no plans for major software upgrades for the iLiad, however much of the source code has been released and so there is a chance of new features from iLiad enthusiasts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The book edition has a touch screen?

I must have totally missed that

Thanks! :-)

I now have to resist the urge to go to borders this evening
Old 11-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
The book edition has a touch screen?
All of the iRex readers (all iLiad versions and the new DR) have a touchscreen. Just to be clear though, we're not talking about a touch screen like an iPhone where you can use your fingers on the screen to "click" on stuff. What we're talking about is a Wacom screen that you can write on with a stylus.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
omro
Addict

I did read, on another forum, that iRex are no longer supporting the iLiad software and won't be issuing any more updates. Does this mean it's effectively a dead product?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I did read, on another forum, that iRex are no longer supporting the iLiad software and won't be issuing any more updates.
They will only be issuing "maintenance" updates, but the user community has taken over development and this is certainly going to lead to additional features. Not all milestones will necessarily be achieved but see iLiad OS: Roadmap. This is a more aggressive roadmap than iRex has for new products, so development is not dead. It has stalled, though, for the MobiPocket Reader because its source code is not available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
omro
Addict

So iRex won't be bringing out another iLiad? Or they'll just be concentrating on the larger format reader which is obviously newer or perhaps releasing a new model of book sized reader?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So iRex won't be bringing out another iLiad? Or they'll just be concentrating on the larger format reader which is obviously newer or perhaps releasing a new model of book sized reader?
Their current plan is to focus on the DR model and not release another iLiad. However, things change. Maybe they'll see enough of a demand for the 8" sized reader and decide down the road to come out with a new one. I don't think anybody really can say for sure. Right now though, there is no plan for a new iLiad.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
omro
Addict

So they'll stop manufacturing the iLiad?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

They've said they will continue to sell and support (warranty repairs, customer support, maintenance updates) the iLiad. So I assume that means they are planning on continuing to manufacture the existing models (v2 and Book Edition). There just won't be any new models (for example a v3) or new features added to the software by iRex.

Will that change in the future... who knows?

Maybe after the DR model is more stable and they've finished with most of their plans for the firmware they'll revisit the 8" market. They seem to be staying out of the 6" market because it's already flooded with the Kindle/Sony/Etc. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road iRex comes out with other products in different sizes. But I doubt they'll do another iteration of the iLiad. Maybe a new design in the 8" size, or something along those lines.

Last edited by Shaggy; 11-21-2008 at 04:29 PM.