Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Didio
Didio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR-650
Amazon and Barnes&Nobles titles in a Sony Reader

Hello,
I’m a bit frustrated. I’m Spanish but I frequently read English-written Sci-FI novels. I’ve buy a Sony PRS-650 with the aim to buy them as ebooks without shipments and others physical bugs. I just saw a book from amazon, and I’ve asked if possible to have it for my device. They answered me that it’s no possible. Further searching, brings me to Barnes and Noble and the answer has been the same. The novel is pre-released and they are the only bookshops that sell it. If I buy for example the amazon (or the Barnes&Nobles) version for PC, could I afterwards send it to my Sony Reader? I’m not asking for a pirate copy, but trick that allows me to read my book in my device once paid, or other way around.

Thanks,
Didio
Didio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
It is technically possible to convert, but you have to strip the encryption to do it. That may or may not be legal in Spain.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
If you Google "de-drm ebooks blog" you'll probably find some website to advise you in removing the Digital Rights Management code from your eBooks.

Use Calibre to manage the eBooks you download to your computer. You can then have Calibre convert books on the fly (if needed) when you transfer them to your eReader.

In some jurisdictions this all may fall under "fair use" and be legal (assuming you are just doing all this just to read your books on your eReader), but in other jurisdictions this may not be permitted.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
What is the title of the book? Other retailers may have it available once it's officially released.

Will you be purchasing the ebook from Spain?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Yeah, Amazon and Barnes are both really good about listing books as pre-orders. Other retailers, like Kobo, might have it on release day but you won't know until release day.

But yes, there are tricks - unless you buy the book from Apple iBooks. Nobody has come up with a trick for those yet, as far as I know. You will find many people here who move their books between different device brands by employing the tricks.

Welcome to MobileRead
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
Didio
Didio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR-650
Hello,

Thanks you all for yours answers. The book I want is “Manhattan in reverse” written by Peter F. Hamilton. Most books from Peter F. Hamilton haven’t been translated to Spanish and those who have been, it has been done years later. I saw a pre-order at a good price (5£) and I was interested on it. I don’t understand those commerce restrictions that force you to buy a specific reader. I will probably wait to the release date and then buy it in a dealer that offers me an open format (DRM or not).

Thanks

Last edited by Didio; 10-14-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: orthographic correction
Didio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didio View Post
Hello,

Thanks you all for yours answers. The book I want is “Manhattan in reverse” written by Peter F. Hamilton. Most books from Peter F. Hamilton haven’t been translated to Spanish and those who have been, it has been done years later. I saw a pre-order at a good price (5£) and I was interested on it. I don’t understand those commerce restrictions that force you to buy a specific reader. I will probably wait to the release date and then buy it in a dealer that offers me an open format (DRM or not).

Thanks
You should be able to purchase it from Sony by the time it's released on February 28th.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote