Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
A usage question---is this fair?

A recent Teleread debate on 'piracy' had me curious about people's opinions on a scenario I find myself in. For what it's worth, I spend over $1000 a year on books and read over 100 of them, and consider myself a good book customer. I do not download from the darknet. So with that disclaimer out of the way, here is my scenario. I curious for opinions on whether you think it is fair or wrong.

I acquire a Kobo, legally. I have a Kobo account, buy Kobo books and have the Kobo app on my iPod and iPad. I do use these apps to read Kobo books I purchase.

I decide to give the Kobo to my mother. I bring her over, show her how to load the books (it is not hard) and hope she enjoys it. I load some DRmd (i.e. they will expire) library books onto it which I signed out, in her presence, with my card. She's happy.

She decides she wants a few books but for whatever reason is reluctant to buy them herself. I buy the books for her with my Kobo account, borrow the physical Kobo which is still technically registered to this account, and download the books onto it. Then I give the Kobo back to her.

The grey area is that I could technically use one of my other devices to read these books myself, simultaneous with my mother reading them on the Kobo, which is sharing. But the Kobo is still technically registered to me, the books I downloaded onto it were legally purchased by me, and Kobo does allow (and in fact encourages) one to have the app on more than one device anyway. And further, the Kobo device is, like a paper book, a physical object and while my mother has it, I do not. To me, it feels just like loaning her a paper copy.

It's kind of a moot question since I don't particularly care for any of the books she has so far asked for and won't ever read them, and the other stuff I have given her has been library books which expire after an interval. But the debater in me is curious---are Mom and I evil, dreaded pirates for this, or are we engaging in fair, legitimate use?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Actually, Joanna, this isn't a moot point or skirting the law at all. You are buying a license for 5 (or is it 6?) copies of a DRMed book from Kobo. If you choose to register 5 Kobos, and load them all with your purchased content from one account, good on you.

You can create a reading circle with one account, buy five Kobos, and buy one copy of Joanna Skibsrud's Scotiabank Giller winning novel The Sentimentalists for $9.99, and allow all five members of your circle to read the book simultaneously. Try that with a paperback!

So, you gave the Kobo to your mom, but the content is all attached to that Kobo and your account under the 5 readers rule. There's nothing grey here at all. Happy reading!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Even if you weren't specifically covered by the Kobo license, I see nothing wrong with sharing books with a family member. I do it all the time with ebooks, the same as I would with paper books. And I'm a guy who counts on copyright to help protect my livelihood. (Part of it, anyway.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Actually, Joanna, this isn't a moot point or skirting the law at all. You are buying a license for 5 (or is it 6?) copies of a DRMed book from Kobo. If you choose to register 5 Kobos, and load them all with your purchased content from one account, good on you.
Yeah, that is what I thought. I even got her a wall adapter for the Kobo, she has actually never plugged it into the computer to even charge it. It has only ever been on my computer and when she wants new books, she gives me the Kobo to take away and load up for her. It has only ever been registered to me and my account.

It's very co-dependent, really But if you want to come over here and try convincing her that she can do this all herself if she wants to, more power to you. She seems to think the Kobo is a mystical item beyond her control and the easiest way to get a book is just tell me she wants it and have me do it for her
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
You are fine both legally and ethically. If kobo had a different policy, and you shared your books with your mom -- you'd be doing something illegal. Unethical? Well, lets just say that _I_ see a big difference between sharing a book within your family and putting it up on the net where thousands of folks can get it without paying.

For example -- I know it's illegal to get a copyrighted book from the "darknet". However, if I check out a hard back book from the library, and then get the ebook from the darknet so that I could read the book on my iPad, then delete the file when I take the hard back back to the library. I don't think I've been unethical, but that's a matter of personal opinion.

Oh, and I don't mean ME, I mean 'my friend' -- as I surely would never do anything illegal or unethical

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think you are crystal-clear-legal because the books are tied to devices, not users. Unless I missed some new funky EULA (always possible, lol), you could loan an e-reader to 100 people and it is just as legal as loaning a physical copy of the book around.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I really wouldn't worry about it.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I think you're really nice to do that for your mom. This is the only way my mom would be able to use an ereader... but we live 3000 miles apart.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This also works for Joanna because her mom does not want to have anything but books bought through Joanna's account and applying the DRM though Joanna's ADE account on her device. You can load the same books, bought with the same account etc on the six devices (and six computers) with ease, but each device works with only one account at a time.

If Joanna let me plug into her account, the DRM encumbered books on my reader bought through my own account would convert to "locked content". Removing Joanna's book would magically unlock my own once I reauthorized my reader with my own Adobe ADE.

I believe other DRM schemes like kobo kepub (their own DRM) or Kindle DRM, does similar things--one device, one account. Kobo does this by only syncing one account per device. Sync with account #2, and all the books on your device through account #1 magically disappear. They can be reloaded when account #2 is gone from the device.

Last edited by taming; 11-25-2010 at 04:58 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I believe other DRM schemes like kobo kepub (their own DRM) or Kindle DRM, does similar things--one device, one account. Kobo does this by only syncing one account per device. Sync with account #2, and all the books on your device through account #1 magically disappear. They can be reloaded when account #2 is gone from the device.
Don't know about real Kindles, but the Kindle app for iThings doesn't work like this. Although you can only download content for the currently authorised account, content from other accounts remains available and can be read.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo's issue is how the desktop application syncs with the I'm Reading list on the reader. Nice that Kindle bypasses that particular issue.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
So, you gave the Kobo to your mom, but the content is all attached to that Kobo and your account under the 5 readers rule. There's nothing grey here at all. Happy reading!
I'm inclined to agree. I'm not a lawyer, but it does sound like you're staying within the terms of your agreement with Kobo. In a similar manner, I've got a Kindle, and my wife has installed the Kindle Android app on her phone, registered to my account. Consequently, she has access to all the books I buy from Amazon. She doesn't really like reading on it, so it's mainly there in case she finds herself stuck somewhere with nothing to read - it's better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
But if you want to come over here and try convincing her that she can do this all herself if she wants to, more power to you. She seems to think the Kobo is a mystical item beyond her control and the easiest way to get a book is just tell me she wants it and have me do it for her
Sounds like my mum She has a computer so that she can see my son's photos on his website. She doesn't know how to get to any other website, and has no interest in doing so. We set her up with Skype so she can have video chats with him, but we have to call her, then she just has to click the "Answer" button.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
It is fair.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote