Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
I Gave Up...

I bought the PRS-T1 shortly after it was released. I liked everything about it until I also began experiencing the "rapid pages turning and catatonic touch screen" that Sony has acknowledged on its forums.

After about 3-4 episodes of the freezing and about the same number of emails back and forth with Sony, today I emailed them asking if they were any closer to diagnosing the root cause of this issue and, hopefully, affecting a solution. The terse response from their support was that since I had already tried the factory restart, I could schedule service on the device...

Luckily, I had 5 days left in the window to return the device to Target- which I did this evening. I then drove to my local Barnes & Noble and bought the Nook Simple Touch Reader.

Luckily, I am a happy user of Calibre (thanks Kovid!) so I simply changed my device in the software and look forward to putting my current books on the Nook after its initial charge and registration.

I am disappointed. I like Sony and wanted the Reader to be better than it was. I am a little surprised that this issue seems to be rather widespread and the company exhibits little sense of urgency for resolution. I am curious, though, as to how Sony continues to respond to this issue. Has anyone gotten any information beyond "try the factory restart or schedule service" response?
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I've had the same issues and I've been told to hand mine in for service/ replacement. I REALLY like the T1 so I'm going to give that a try. I've waiting for them to get back to me today with some more details on that. I'm really disappointed, too
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Maybe that's the curse of the first model device. They went to Android and that changeover will have issues, just like many devices in the past that made significant leaps. I imagine version 2 of an Android reader will have these things ironed out.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I waved good bye to mine today. I decided to get a reimbursement rather than send it in for service, since they don't know what the problem is or when they can have it fixed. I'm hoping they find a solution so I can repurchase a working model in half a year or so. I really liked it
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I waved good bye to mine today. I decided to get a reimbursement rather than send it in for service, since they don't know what the problem is or when they can have it fixed. I'm hoping they find a solution so I can repurchase a working model in half a year or so. I really liked it
Well you have your Kindle 4 to enjoy at least.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
There are three bugs that I've discovered on my T1.

1. The page flipping bug. Fixed by hitting the home button. Then putting the reader in to sleep mode a couple times.

2. The dictionary bug. Reader will just randomly select a word and open the dictionary on every page turn. This error is fixed just by going out to the Home screen and returning to the book.

3. Touch Screen just locks up no other symptoms. This is also fixed by putting the T1 into sleep mode a couple times.

I've never once had to use the reset button on the bottom.

These bugs are annoying but take less than 10 seconds to correct and only seem to happen maybe once a day. So I decided to keep my reader and just hope for a fix.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
JayB, how often does the page flipping glitch happen on your Reader? I'm asking because the T1 is my top choice to replace my aging PRS-300 but all these problems are making me consider the K4 Touch instead.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have my T1 for more than 14 days - and I NEVER had ANY problems described here in mobileread.
Maybe I'm just lucky...
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I've had the rapid page turning thing happen on the T1 (actually it only skips over about 2 pages), but I also had that problem with the 650 sometimes. I discovered it would happen because dust would collect in the corners of the reader. A quick blast of air in the corners resolved the problem. I assume (I know one should never do that) that dust is the problem this time also for the page turning. Even with a cover on I think the plastic casing is static and draws dust to it. My handy can of compressed air is never too far from me anyway.

I had freezing the first time I used the reader but I concluded it was because the books I had on my micro sd were not the formats that the T1 uses (remember it only reads pdf, epub and txt and that's it. No rtf, doc, or lrf). Once I removed those from the sd card I never had another freeze up. It's been steady and reliable ever since.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I really enjoy my Reader I have had it for about Two weeks and had no problem once or twice it said it had to close the book I was reading due to an error . I have not had to reset it or anything . I was concerned about buying the T1 after reading about the crashes etc. I find the battery life on it is excellent compared to the other sony models.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
I really enjoy my Reader I have had it for about Two weeks and had no problem once or twice it said it had to close the book I was reading due to an error . I have not had to reset it or anything . I was concerned about buying the T1 after reading about the crashes etc. I find the battery life on it is excellent compared to the other sony models.
I've never had battery life issues with the 505 or the 950 I just got. well, 505's battery is definitely dying down now, but I'm a crazy voracious reader and it used to last close to a month, now probably half of that..
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
There are three bugs that I've discovered on my T1.

1. The page flipping bug. Fixed by hitting the home button. Then putting the reader in to sleep mode a couple times.

2. The dictionary bug. Reader will just randomly select a word and open the dictionary on every page turn. This error is fixed just by going out to the Home screen and returning to the book.

3. Touch Screen just locks up no other symptoms. This is also fixed by putting the T1 into sleep mode a couple times.
4. Italic text can turn roman if you use a different font.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
I have my T1 for more than 14 days - and I NEVER had ANY problems described here in mobileread.
Maybe I'm just lucky...
Ditto, except I've had mine since release....
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
JayB, how often does the page flipping glitch happen on your Reader? I'm asking because the T1 is my top choice to replace my aging PRS-300 but all these problems are making me consider the K4 Touch instead.
I've only had this happen to me twice. Its not that big of a deal you just have to hit the home button as soon as it happens so its easier to get back to where you were in the book. Then you have to put it in sleep mode twice and then the touchscreen will start working again.

The only way I'll return my reader is if it turns out to be a hardware problem. I still think it is a software problem though.

If you buy it at Target you get 90 days to return it. Thats what I did just to be on the safe side.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
I've only had this happen to me twice. Its not that big of a deal you just have to hit the home button as soon as it happens so its easier to get back to where you were in the book. Then you have to put it in sleep mode twice and then the touchscreen will start working again.
The only way I'll return my reader is if it turns out to be a hardware problem. I still think it is a software problem though.
If you buy it at Target you get 90 days to return it. Thats what I did just to be on the safe side.
FYI - Target has recently changed their return policy such that ereaders now have a 45 day return policy. It's not on the receipt. You have to look up the policy on their website.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote