Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
E-reader for Japanese characters?

I'm re-posting this here, originally posted by a friend of mine to the 'Introduction' area. I think some of the regulars here will have valuable input for him.
--------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosake View Post
I'm considering an eReader purchase for my wife whose primary language is Japanese. The ideal device will, of course, display kanji and kana, contain an E/J and J/E dictionary, utilize wi-fi connectivity, and be backlit.

If anyone knows of such a device, please tell me.

Aloha
--------------------------

Please help him. The poor guy lives in a Volcano!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I'd say get an iPad. I'm sure you could root the Nook Color to use Japanese-language Android apps, but an iPad (though you'd need to purchase dictionaries, probably, or use internet ones) would fulfill all of the criteria. The iPad also has many Japanese-language ebook related apps.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
PocketBook
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
nosake
nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nosake can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: none
So, if I bought the 16GB iPad2, would that suffice?
nosake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Stitchawl, maybe this is a very silly question, but I was just wondering:
Doesn't Sony as a Japanese company sell their readers in Japan? And if they do, do these readers have a firmware that is able to display kanji?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Stitchawl, maybe this is a very silly question, but I was just wondering:
Doesn't Sony as a Japanese company sell their readers in Japan? And if they do, do these readers have a firmware that is able to display kanji?
One would think so, right? But no, they are NOT sold in Japan. Mine comes from Sony-Canada, and is made in China. I've never seen any Japanese people using any brand of dedicated e-reader. However, many do read books using their mobile phones. I sometimes use my iPhone to read a book (using Stanza) when I find I need to wait for something and don't have my Sony with me. It's fine for 10-20 minutes of reading, but for anything longer, it would have to be my regular e-reader.

Stitchawl
Old 05-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosake View Post
So, if I bought the 16GB iPad2, would that suffice?
You can get a heck of a lot of books in just one gigabyte of storage...
My Sony only has 64M of internal memory (with slots for 2 memory cards if wanted.) I usually store 200-300 books inside my reader at all times without needing to use the extra cards.

Stitchawl