Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
niceboy
Enthusiast
niceboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre with HTML and RTF and DOC

I did a search here but did not find prior posts about this...

Calibre represents HTM and HTML files as ".ZIP" and will not convert from them. It also will not convert from RTF or DOC but that is less important to me.

Any ideas what could be the matter?

I have the latest version of Calibre running on Windows 7 Starter. My MSIE is working fine but I use Firefox as my browser.

I have been saving HTML as .TXT from my browser to convert to MOBI with Calibre but often there are issues with quotation marks and apostrophes displaying as question marks so that is not ideal.

Thank you
niceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You are correct that Calibre stores HTML books as a zip, but it should have no trouble converting from it. RTF should also work, although DOC will not. When you try what sort of error messages do you get?

The issues with characters displaying as question marks is normally because the character encoding type is incorrectl specified.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
I'll reiterate that Calibre performs excellently (probably the best) with html source (which, as OP said, shows up as zip once you add it to Calibre). In fact, I've gotten to starting with clean html (converted from any other source) and feeding it to Calibre after doing any cleaning up/proofing. (Clean) html is probably the best format to do post-OCR cleanup in.

By the way, you can drag an entire folder (with an html hierarchy - several files, relatively linked images, etc.) to the edit metadata ->formats window and it adds as a nice zip file.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, html