Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
feraudyh
feraudyh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle D01100
Mathematics for Kindle with Calibre?

Hello,
If this is not the best forum to discuss Calibre-specific issues could someone please tell me which forum to go to?
Anyway I'm trying to write a math text for the Kindle. I know that I should not use inline formulae. I can use LaTex for my formulae, and I have tried OpenOffice+TexMaths, saving as HTML and then converting via Calibre.
While this is not perhaps ideal, it's not a bad start.
Still, Calibre's website recommended using HTML + MathJax. The latter is a javascript script which allows you to write math as LaTex code inside the HTML.
The author (Goyal I presume) then says it's a piece of cake to transform the HTML file into a Kindle document. Strangely enough the demo code does
not even work with an HTML browser as he seems to have forgotten a reference to the MathJax script. If I do add the appropriate mising link to the script the formulae display very nicely inside my browser, but the formulae remain totally untranslated Latex Code inside my Kindle document!
cheers
Henri
feraudyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You appear to be confused. The document you are referring to talks about how to create mathematics for display with calibre's viewer, not on the Kindle or any other reading device whatsoever. I suggest you go read it again. Pay particular attention to the first paragraph, which I will quote for you:

Quote:
The calibre ebook viewer has the ability to display math embedded in ebooks (ePub and HTML files). You can typeset the math directly with TeX or MathML or AsciiMath. The calibre viewer uses the excellent MathJax library to do this. This is a brief tutorial on creating ebooks with math in them that work well with the calibre viewer.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:13 AM   #3
feraudyh
feraudyh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle D01100
Thankyou for your answer and all the time you are putting into this software.

As an occasional user of Calibre I supposed that what is visible in the calibre viewer is the same as what is visible in the Kindle, and that the former is just a "preview" of what would be visible on the Kindle.
Well, I shall just have to drop MathJax then.
feraudyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle, latex, math