Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I've heard people facetiously pronounce Target as if it was a French word that sounds something like Tar-shey. I thought it was funny, but I'm easily amused.
Me, too.

Quote:
The New York Times has an article on the story now. According to this article, Target was still ticked off about Amazon's "Price Check app that gave shoppers 5 percent off any item scanned at a store." Here is another quote from the article--

BTW, the Wal-Mart near me is bigger than the Target and just as nice.

I also went to buy some tennis shoes at a local brick and mortar (Bob's), and they didn't have my size. I asked if they had any in the back and the guy tells me "No, we don't. However, I can check with our other stores and for an extra $8 we can have them sent right to your house." I declined then bought them on Amazon where they were less than they were in the store and I didn't have to pay for shipping.
You know, while I can admit to not buying things in B&M stores after price-checking with Amazon...I kinda always thought that the app would eventually make some retailers mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I shop at upscale Walmarts
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #32
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
You know, while I can admit to not buying things in B&M stores after price-checking with Amazon...I kinda always thought that the app would eventually make some retailers mad.
Yeah, I can sort of see Target's point there.

Regarding Walmart and Target, I live very close to several Walmarts and at least one Target. My wife greatly prefers Target. It is much neater and nicer inside.
The nearest Walmart (as close as the Target) is a constant wreck inside so I see her point. She refuses to shop at that one if there is any alternative. The slightly more distant Walmarts are a bit better, but none as nice as the newly remodeled Target.
But I still prefer Walmart for selection, and sometimes, price.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
I shop at upscale Walmarts
Better than grey-scale ones .............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #34
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I've heard people facetiously pronounce Target as if it was a French word that sounds something like Tar-shey. I thought it was funny, but I'm easily amused.
I've heard it a lot myself. I think it stems from the urban legend about Target being a French concern.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #35
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
I've heard it a lot myself. I think it stems from the urban legend about Target being a French concern.
No, it stems from people jokingly suggesting that the discount-store clothes and accessories they are buying are really from an expensive European designer boutique.
People do the same thing with JC Penney, pronouncing it "peh-NAY."

Last edited by ApK; 05-03-2012 at 07:37 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #36
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I like the way one of my sisters calls the WalMart that finally built near where she lives in a very very rich neighborhood, "my wally mart." At first I thought she was talking down about it, but she really loves it. It seems it saved her a 20 plus mile ride. Likewise a McDonald's.

Of course her cup would really be full if they put a Target near by.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #37
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I don't understand how they think banning price checking in their stores will benefit them. Everyone I know would leave without buying anything if someone tried to tell them they could not. Most people weigh multiple factors and decide how much more they are willing to pay in a store than if they go wait for an online order. It's just ridiculous to say "you can't do that". They seem to be taking their frustrations out on the customers thinking it will change the competition.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #38
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
Most people weigh multiple factors and decide how much more they are willing to pay in a store than if they go wait for an online order. It's just ridiculous to say "you can't do that". They seem to be taking their frustrations out on the customers thinking it will change the competition.
I think they're just looking for the impulse-buy customers to come back. The non-tech savvy ones who are there to get deodorant and dish soap, but then realize that they've got to get their moms a Mother's Day present too, so they go grab something from the electronics aisle. Or the guys who buy a big screen TV the day before the Superbowl. The gotta-have-it-now people.

That's who they want shopping there. Sadly, I don't think they really realize that most of us don't have that kind of disposable income anymore and we're trying to make every penny count.
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #39
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcloude View Post
That's who they want shopping there. Sadly, I don't think they really realize that most of us don't have that kind of disposable income anymore and we're trying to make every penny count.
Ain't THAT the truth...
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I like the way one of my sisters calls the WalMart that finally built near where she lives in a very very rich neighborhood, "my wally mart."
I call it China Mart
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #41
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
I call it China Mart
So that is what you meant by "China Mart." I thought you were talking about ordering online.

My travels led me to to places in the East where you could buy really great things relatively cheaply long before the internet. Now days you can get the same things online though you don't get the exotic flavor.

I will have to tell my sister about "China Mart."

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote