Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
pdxNat
pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Easy Conversion: Doc to Epub / Mobi

Over at http://pdxnat.wordpress.com/2011/10/...pub-mobi-file/ I wrote up a simple tutorial for converting a "word" doc to epub / mobi using Calibre.

It's based on setting the document title & chapter headers to "Header 1", save as "html", ask Calibre to "Remove spacing between paragraphs" and set the "Level 1 TOC (XPath expression)" to "//h:h1".

This won't satisfy everyone's particular needs, but I think it's a helpful tutorial for folks just looking to convert a simple document into eReader format.

Hope this helps someone.
Calibre rules!
pdxNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Easy Conversion: Doc to Epub / Mobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxNat View Post
Over at http://pdxnat.wordpress.com/2011/10/...pub-mobi-file/ I wrote up a simple tutorial for converting a "word" doc to epub / mobi using Calibre.

It's based on setting the document title & chapter headers to "Header 1", save as "html", ask Calibre to "Remove spacing between paragraphs" and set the "Level 1 TOC (XPath expression)" to "//h:h1".

This won't satisfy everyone's particular needs, but I think it's a helpful tutorial for folks just looking to convert a simple document into eReader format.

Hope this helps someone.
Calibre rules!
Thanks, that is a mighty handy procedure to know about. Tested it and it worked just great!!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
That's a lot of manual steps....

For a bit more automated approach, try using BookCreator Tool v3.0 instead.

It requires that calibre be pre-installed but calls it from within MS Word to produce your .epub or .mobi ebook without all those manual steps.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
pdxNat
pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.pdxNat can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
That's a lot of manual steps....

For a bit more automated approach, try using BookCreator Tool v3.0 instead.

It requires that calibre be pre-installed but calls it from within MS Word to produce your .epub or .mobi ebook without all those manual steps.
When I goto http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/ I see they've been purchased by Google and no longer appear to offer anything, though I'm sure good things are coming. It should be compatible with OpenOffice / LibreOffice in addition to Word, and I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen. Anyway, sounds nice. But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The tutorial I wrote will surely be outdated soon with a "Turn this into an ebook" menu option in all word processors, but until then it's free and simple.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
pdxNat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Thanks, that is a mighty handy procedure to know about. Tested it and it worked just great!!

Tags
calibre, convert, doc, epub, mobi