Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Ceiyne
Enthusiast
Ceiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Buy book without downloading to device?

I am a new Kobo user (just got my Glo HD yesterday) so I hope this isn't a dumb question. I tried searching the forum before I posted, but couldn't find anything.

Before I got my Glo HD, I used the Kobo app on my Android tablet, so I had a bunch of books in my library already. I have been buying books from the Rakuten Japanese bookstore via a web browser. On the Android app, I would have to manually click a new book to download it.

Now that I have my Glo HD, I've discovered that when the device syncs, it downloads any new books I have purchased. Is there a way that I can avoid this? Sometimes I buy up a bunch of books but don't necessarily plan to read them any time soon.

I saw that there was an option to turn off automatic sync in the settings, but I think that will also prevent me from getting firmware updates, and also prevent the Glo HD from syncing book reading progress with my Kobo Android app. I am also assuming that if I manually sync (to get a firmware update or something), I am going to end up getting all those books downloaded anyway.
Ceiyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
On the web site, goto My Library http://www.kobobooks.com/library/library.html select the books you don't want and then the Delete button.

They will end up in your trash http://www.kobobooks.com/library/trash/index.html and can be restored from there.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Ceiyne
Enthusiast
Ceiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notesCeiyne can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I also saw an option to put in "storage". Would that work the same way? (Just in case some day the Trash gets emptied. )

But anyway, I discovered today that syncing apparently resets the custom Japanese dictionary I loaded, so it looks like I will just have to forego syncing anyway... Unless there's a way to prevent that.

Thanks for your reply.
Ceiyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Trash doesn't get empied. Not sure about storage. I think there might be a patch to preserve custom dictionaries.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And if they have been downloaded, you can remove them from the device. Long press on the book, select "Remove" from the menu. The "Remove from..." prompt will display with two options: "eReader" and "Kobo account". Selecting both is the equivalent of what PeterT has suggested.

If only the first option is selected, the book from the ereader but leave an entry in the library. This can be used to download the book when you are ready to read it.

Turning the automatic sync off will help, but, manual sync will download the new books. If you are worried about firmware upgrades, they are announced here as soon as they are noticed. And as the upgrade happens at the start of a sync, when there is one, the rest of the sync isn't done. And the reading status of your current book is synced at other times. When you open the book, it will check for an updated position and prompt you to change to it. When you close the book, it will send the position. And I think it tries when going to sleep. These are done silently, so if there is no network connection, no error is returned. The Android app does the same thing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert