Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #121
mkaluza
mkaluza began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
New application with different text input method

Hi.
Let me say hello at first
Inspired by this dict application I've developed something of my own. The main difference is that text input is based on T9 algoirthm similar to this in cell phones.
The application itself is not yet complete as it is meant mainly as a testing ground for the T9 functionality.

Advantages
- supports national chars - it doesn't actually care what the input file is as long as it's utf-8. Handling of national characters is for now done in a crude kind of way - it just strips them to ascii letters and treats as such - for most times this shoud do just fine. But it can be (and will be) changed
- search time doesn't depend on size of the dictionary
- easy implementation of multiline translations, since it uses offsets (and I will add length too) - if you have for example longman CD, and a way to extract data from it, the explanations there are large - multiline.

What works:
2-9 are letters as labeled, 0 is a space and 1 is symbol (but I think there are none there.
Cursor up/down - toggle between alternative versions (as in cell's)
cursor left - delete char (deleting the first char returns an error and doesn't refresh the screen, but it's deleted)
Enter - search.

What doesnt work:
- search will only work after whole word, as it is in the dictionary, is entered. So entering 'abbandon' won't generate any result (yet), but 'abbandonare' will
- there's no way - for now - to go to next (alphabetically speaking) word
- changing dictionaries obviously, but it's just a demo for now

My final goal however is to write a simple (or not so simple) text editor, and then a planner/organizer, which I'd find very useful on this device. (For fun I'd like a simple shell too ;D )

Install:
As usual - unzip the contents to the root of sd card.

Comments and thoughts are welcome.
I once again want to stress, that it's not meant to be a fully functional dictionary yet...
Attached Files
File Type: gz dict.tar.gz (404.3 KB, 649 views)
mkaluza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #122
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi mkaluza,
Great to see another tool for the PRS-505!

I strongly recommend you start a new thread as the benefits of doing so are many fold. Most importantly you will be able to add updates to the first post making it easy for users to easily find your future updates.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #123
JulesReader
JulesReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
All,

I'm a new 505 owner and new to this forum. I just wanted to say thanks to you all for the dictionary utility. This was one of the things that almost made me decide on a Kindle, but very happy to have the Sony without it ... and now very happy to have the Sony with it. LOL To anyone new to the forum who hasn't loaded the dictionary yet, a note of caution. DO NOT over complicate things by trying to follow along with the techie stuff. LOL Load the card stuff on the card and the prs stuff on the internal memory of the reader (and add the wb dictionary file back in under the dictionary directory) and you're done. Works like a charm.

Thanks again!

Jules
JulesReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #124
jerryn
jerryn began at the beginning.

Device: don't own one yet.
Cool Hack! How difficult would it be to activate this via a hotkey?

I was thinking about mapping one of the number keys. Hold down the 0 key for
4 seconds to fire up the dictionary. This way we son't break the sd insert switch.
jerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #125
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Autorun.js Patch

Hi All,
Thanks to mkaluza excellent contributions I've been able to add a soft key launcher to the dictionary. This way the user is no longer required to insert-reinsert the SD Card to get the dictionary to load. Just hold down the "0" button and the dictionary will launch.

Since this is a back door way which tricks the system into thinking the card has been inserted the time is still about 5-20sec to load. (The time depends on the size of the SD Card.

INSTALL
Unzip the file and place the autorun.js in the directory below.
Code:
<SD DRIVE:>\Sony Reader\Software
=X=
Attached Files
File Type: zip autorun.zip (4.8 KB, 733 views)
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #126
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi All,
Thanks to mkaluza excellent contributions I've been able to add a soft key launcher to the dictionary. This way the user is no longer required to insert-reinsert the SD Card to get the dictionary to load. Just hold down the "0" button and the dictionary will launch.

Since this is a back door way which tricks the system into thinking the card has been inserted the time is still about 5-20sec to load. (The time depends on the size of the SD Card.

INSTALL
Code:
=X=
I am going to have to give this a go the moment I'm back at home!
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #127
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
This is really silly on my part. I downloaded this dictionary about a month ago, and I've been so busy with school and work that I completely forgot about it, though I'm trying to get it functioning now. Unfortunately I'm running into an error and I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

So the first thing that happens is I'm prompted with "Dictionary dictionary.text was...
Please press "Choose Dictio..."

I navigate to "Chng dict." and press enter. I then enter the name of the dictionary as instructed (Not case-sensitive and w/o extension). I subsequently receive the message "Dictionary X was not fou...
Please press "Choose Dictio..."
This turns into an endless cycle. I'm wondering if I have the dictionary in the wrong directory? Are there any other possible errors that I could be making?
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #128
=X=
Wizard

The dictionary files need to be installed on the sony internal memory. Under

Code:
<drive:>\database\media\dictionary
make sure the file is saved under all lowercase. The script is not case sensitive but the OS is.

=X=
Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #129
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
Hi All,

INSTALL
Code:
=X=
Hi,

this does not work for me with version 0.87 and the 14 MB wb.txt file.
When I press and hold 0 my 505 reboots.

Any ideas?

ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #130
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
Hi,

this does not work for me with version 0.87 and the 14 MB wb.txt file.
When I press and hold 0 my 505 reboots.

Any ideas?

ras
The same thing happened to me recently.

Holding the "0" does not cause a reboot. I suspect what is happening is during the disk scan the reader is crashing, which in turn causes the reader to reboot.

If you try it again after the reboot it should work.
=X=
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #131
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
The same thing happened to me recently.

Holding the "0" does not cause a reboot. I suspect what is happening is during the disk scan the reader is crashing, which in turn causes the reader to reboot.

If you try it again after the reboot it should work.
=X=
Hi,

no such luck.

After the reboot, the dictionary is shown. If i then go back to my book and press "0" again, it reboots again.

Any ideas?
Can I switch on loggin?

btw. I have the "newest" hacked firmware installed and localized version.
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #132
=X=
Wizard

Try changing the number "0" to another number.

Yes do this by modifying the autorun.js file.
Search for the text 'doHold0' to 'doHold9'.

Then reinstall the autorun.js file
Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #133
klx14
klx14 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The soft key launch change does not work for me (unmodified version 0.87 does work like a charm, however). The dictionary is launched OK upon insertion of the SD card, subsequent pressing and holding of the '0' button causes a hang (circular symbol is showing, device must be reset) or sometimes causes the device to reset immediately.

Changing the '0' to '9' or '5' did not alter this behaviour.

I have a UK firmware 1.2 with some PRSCustomizer tweaks. Maybe the soft key hack is not compatible?
klx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:25 AM   #134
exelinguy
exelinguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Is there a way to not have it autorun?
exelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #135
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
simple directions for dictionary application

I've been away from the forum for a while, so please forgive any perceived ignorance.

Many months ago I tried to make use of the sd card-based dictionary app on my prs 505 running with the updated firmware, but was unsuccessful, nothing happened at all when I installed the sd card.

It seems from what I've recently gathered here that some changes/progress have been made. I would really like to try using the dictionary app again.

Could someone post links to, if not the actual most up-to-date files necessary, as well as simple and easy to follow directions for installing the files and getting the app to function.
I am a simple GUI user with no programming skills/knowledge, but did successfully install the customization app and customized my prs 505.

Getting the dictionary app to work would be icing on the sony cake.

Thanks for you kindness.
Scott
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote