Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Seraphine
Nameless Being

I can't download a Kobo book I've just purchased. Help?

Hi folks.

Attached is a screenshot of the two latest purchases in my library. As you can see, I'm able to download the Adobe EPUB of Across The Universe, but I am unable to do the same with the Percy Jackson novels. I've never had this issue before, and the Percy Jackson description page does state that it's available to read on desktop, tablet, ereader etc. - so I'm not sure why I'm unable to download it to Adobe Digital Editions.

Can somebody please clarify why I'm having this issue? I feel like it should be obvious, especially as I've never managed to come across this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.35.04 PM.png
Views:	711
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	111054  
Old 09-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try via Kobo Desktop; there is an issue with Kobo not displaying the format info in a useful manner right now.

Unfortunately I can't find that book in the Canadian Kobo store to check a theory of mine
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have a feeling that the new store is debuting in new countries over the weekend--and not without issues. I have found myself in some strange situations from time to time when they were making this sort of change. You would think they were big enough and experienced enough not to have this sort of thing happen.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also you'd think at some point some communication as to what was happening might be nice, or even, shutting the store for an hour while they make changes (and perhaps test)?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I spent some time doing some tech stuff for a business with a huge CMS. Major changes didn't leave the sandbox until it was tested and tested and tested. There were still very occasional problems, but nothing truly screwed up.
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

And I worked for many MANY years in technology; testing plans and backout plans were key portions of any and every implementation.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
And I worked for many MANY years in technology; testing plans and backout plans were key portions of any and every implementation.
So many years, Peter. And I bet you had to walk three k uphill in the snow to get to work and 4 k uphill in the snow to get back home. Damn we're old.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
Can somebody please clarify why I'm having this issue? I feel like it should be obvious, especially as I've never managed to come across this before.
I noticed the same lack of download links for some sample and preview books in my library. I thought it was normal, so I decided not to make a first-time purchase. I must say Kobo continues to demonstrate awkward and clumsy behavior to me.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I noticed the same lack of download links for some sample and preview books in my library. I thought it was normal, so I decided not to make a first-time purchase. I must say Kobo continues to demonstrate awkward and clumsy behavior to me.
I have over a dozen titles where I added previews to my library over the last month or so and not one of them has had a download link, I thought it was the new normal too. (I do recall there being download links in the past because I still have the downloaded previews on my Sony T1) Glad I'm not alone!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I took my chances and made a purchase. The free preview did not have a download link, but I got one for the full book. Also, I'm not able to find the Percy Jacson Complete Series book as shown by the OP. Maybe it was a problem with that one book.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I took my chances and made a purchase. The free preview did not have a download link, but I got one for the full book. Also, I'm not able to find the Percy Jacson Complete Series book as shown by the OP. Maybe it was a problem with that one book.

Perhaps geo-restrictions. I was able to see it.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Seraphine
Nameless Being

Hi again, all. Thanks for your comments - it appears as though I can't read this book outside the Kobo ecosystem, would that be correct? It doesn't strike me as particularly excellent business practice not to specify this before the point of sale, but I suppose that it is what it is; and really, I'm sure I'd have actually noticed something somewhere, had I known where to look.

I've grudgingly downloaded the Kobo app onto my Nexus 7, and I'm able to open to Percy Jackson omnibus there without issue; it looks as though my 'comic book device' will enjoy a short change of pace to an ereader until I finish this series. I have to say, though, that until I discover where I can find out whether or not books are accessible outside the ecosystem (DRM aside), I'm now exceptionally wary of continuing to shop with Kobo...
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Seraphine I also had a problem with not getting an EPUB ebook from Kobo on Sunday - instead I got a kepub.

Here's a link to how I handled it's conversion from kepub to EPUB.

However, apparently my ebook must have been DRM free (it's an O'Reilly) and that's why I could do what I did. (So I was told in that thread).

See what you think
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
Hi again, all. Thanks for your comments - it appears as though I can't read this book outside the Kobo ecosystem, would that be correct? It doesn't strike me as particularly excellent business practice not to specify this before the point of sale, but I suppose that it is what it is; and really, I'm sure I'd have actually noticed something somewhere, had I known where to look.
Make sure you send Kobo Customer Service a note regarding your displeasure at being stuck with a book you can only read on Kobo devices. They recently changed their website so that it no longer gives this information prior to purchase (at least not easily), and it is definitely a bad business practice. If enough people scream about it, maybe they'll change it back.

And since they make it difficult to find, here is the Customer Service contact page link: http://kobo.frontlinesvc.com/app/ask

Last edited by robko; 09-17-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Added CS link
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
__taori__
__taori__ began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
I solved the issue signing out and signing back in my Kobo account on my eReader.

See https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...r-kobo-ereader
__taori__ is offline   Reply With Quote