Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by buecherhans View Post
How would the interface language influence English ebook conversion on a German or French or etc setting on Calibre? There are lot of countries out there that do not speak English as a first language and we create ebooks in our mother language and in English. Further, maybe in the hopfully not to far future we will have multible dictionaries on our iPads. I would prefer a manual setting.
I know, it's on the TODO list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Until Kovid is able to implement such a thing, it's perhaps worth noting that there is a manual setting if you use the command line "ebook-convert" tool, rather than the GUI.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #48
buecherhans
Enthusiast
buecherhans began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
is there a <meta> code that I can add to the header of the ebooks that I create?

I tried: <meta http-equiv="content-language" content="en" />
and it seams to work, while a code like
<meta name="DCTERMS.language" content="en" scheme="DCTERMS.RFC4646"/>
that was produced by OpenOffice conversion does not work to get the iPad dictionary to work.

My knowledge of (x)html metacodes is very limited. I want to be save for the future if I add some extra lines that I don't understand. I spend quite some time to produce a clean html code for some books and it paid off. Other lousy conversion code that worked on the Sony causes problems on the iPad.

So, I would appreciate if someone could give us some lines of html that would Calibre cause to use the right language setting. Reconverting is a pain but faster than other other procedures published in this thread. And hopefully also save for future devices.
buecherhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not an HTML issue; it's the "<dc:language>" tag in the OPF file (ie the metadata) of the book. There's nothing you can put in the HTML that will set that.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #50
buecherhans
Enthusiast
buecherhans began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
What than caused the re-converted ebooks to work after I added the meta code?

Just a new version of Calibre?
buecherhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, the new version of Calibre.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #52
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As of 0.7.6, the <dc:language> tag is dynamically written to the epub with the language setting of your calibre installation. That fixed the problem of epubs with 'UND' in iBooks 1.1, assuming your interface language is set to English. This occurs only when sending an epub to an iDevice.

This is in addition to the changes that Kovid described earlier affecting the <dc:language> tag when an epub is created by calibre.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 07-02-2010 at 02:37 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:18 AM   #53
guess32
guess32 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
tyarieed

Last edited by guess32; 07-12-2010 at 11:16 AM.
guess32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Could you possibly upload it here? I just get asked to enter endless sequences of numbers by that site .

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've just reconverted a couple of my ePubs with Calibre 0.7.7 and am happy to report that they now have the correct "en" language tag, meaning that the iBooks dictionary once again works with them.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #56
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by guess32 View Post
Hello, for all that people that have many epubs to set the language (and for myself) I've made a little app to do the task in batch mode, only have to select the file name:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=97051GFK

Forgot to tell that is advisable to make a backup before, at least the first times.
Thank you. This worked great and saved me a lot of time. I had epubs in and out of Calibre's directory and this fixed everything.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #57
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
How does one reconvert an epub already stored in calibre?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #58
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I think you can
a) Just resend the book to the Device or
b) reconvert the ePub to ePub, or
c) save to disk
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Simply right click and select "Convert ebook" from the popup menu.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #60
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Oh ok. Converting an ePub to ePub wasn't intuitive to me but I'll give it a shot.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote