Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What do you do about ebooks you buy to replace paper books?

I have a few ebooks I bought to replace paper books. For example, The Mists of Avalon is more than 500 pages, so when I was able to get the e-version cheaply, I did so. But this is not a one-day read so I have been putting off re-reading it.

Do those of you who re-buy books in e-version that you read in paper consider these 'already read' for the purpose of things like rating them at Fictionwise or tagging them in Calibre? It feels dishonest a little to rate a book at Fictionwise when I have not read the book I bought. But I did read the story when I had the p-book and I know what rating I would give it.

I am starting to wonder if I am being too much of a stickler about this. Between new books I have bought which are not read yet, library books, public domain books I want to read, freebies from elsewhere etc. I have plenty else to read right now. Having a dozen or so things on my 'to read/rate/review' list which I have technically read already (even if not in ebook form) is maybe counter-productive at this point.

Should I just rate them, clear them off my to-read list for now and just know they are there if I want them later? How do you handle books like this for your own record-keeping/rating/managing?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't rate them. What difference does it make if you read them as bits or as pulp?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I agree. I mark them as read as I've read them before. How would you treat a hardcover that you replaced with a paperback? Would you not consider it read because it's now a different format?

I may re-read the e-version, but I would still consider it read
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

Do those of you who re-buy books in e-version that you read in paper consider these 'already read' for the purpose of things like rating them at Fictionwise or tagging them in Calibre? It feels dishonest a little to rate a book at Fictionwise when I have not read the book I bought. But I did read the story when I had the p-book and I know what rating I would give it.

I am starting to wonder if I am being too much of a stickler about this. Between new books I have bought which are not read yet, library books, public domain books I want to read, freebies from elsewhere etc. I have plenty else to read right now. Having a dozen or so things on my 'to read/rate/review' list which I have technically read already (even if not in ebook form) is maybe counter-productive at this point.

If you've read a book, what difference would it make if it is in paper format or e-book format?

You've read the book, period.

So I would say "yes" , you can, and should, rate it.

Now............when you get around to re-reading it, and you find your opinion has changed, you can always go back and change your tag.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am with the majority on this one.

Unless you wish to rate the book for its formatting.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I keep a spreadsheet of all the books that I have bought from Amazon, Fictionwise, and Webscriptions. I have a column for whether or not the book has been read -- 'y' means that I read the eBook, 'b' means that I read it before I bought the eBook copy.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I kept all the paper books I wanted to keep and got rid of the rest when I moved over the summer.

I won't buy ebooks of any of those paper books.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote