Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
flyingtablet
flyingtablet began at the beginning.

Device: none
battery is used even after shutdown?

Just got one, finally.

It is weird that it still comes with firmware 1.0, not 1.01.
So I upgraded to 1.01 myself.

But it seems shutdown does not work at all. Battery is still used.
Even with full charge, the reader in shutdown state still shows 0 battery
overnight.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Last edited by flyingtablet; 11-08-2008 at 07:59 AM.
flyingtablet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
This is a problem that many have noticed. The new firmware (1.02?) should have been released this week. It is possible that the delay is due to this problem. I read somewhere that iRex is trying to figure out what process is running when off to kill the battery. Here is one thread:

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=3088
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
flyingtablet
flyingtablet began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
This is a problem that many have noticed. The new firmware (1.02?) should have been released this week. It is possible that the delay is due to this problem. I read somewhere that iRex is trying to figure out what process is running when off to kill the battery. Here is one thread:

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=3088

Thank you for this info.

It seems that the device actually does NOT shutdown.
It used to happen even with some old PC systems running Linux
because the they dont have correct power management hardware.
This problem is very easy to fix IF the power management system
supports it.

I hope they can come up with a solution soon.
flyingtablet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Well, it can't ever completely shut down since there is no physical switch (the reset button notwithstanding ) It will always need to use some power to check on the "menu" sensor to register a press to turn on the device, at the firmware level though, not the actual OS(?)

Though I don't know why yours would be down to empty from a full charge overnight. I had mine off for several days, and it barely made a dent in my battery life... unless on yours some hung process kept running full speed, or the battery indicator is way off.

You can try a full reset (keep holding several seconds), preferably without the SD card in, in case there is some conflict between the internal registry and the settings stored on the card) Then try again with a full charge overnight.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

The problem occurs sometimes, when you wan to shut the device down. To diagnose if the device is in a fake shutdown status, just press navigation buttons. If you see the green light, then you'll know it was not able to shut down properly. Simply reset via stylus, and shut down again. Would work 99% of time.
I've come across this just before a 2.5 hour train trip. I've plugged in the dr1000s to laptop. Shut down the dr1000s, and ordered a shutdown -h +180 to ubuntu (shut down after 3 hours) and went to bed. Normally, this charges the device, cuts the power, and you pick it up and get on the train with your coffee.
In my case, I ended up with a completely drained device and watching the scenery from a train window for 2.5 hours. I've later found out how it happens In other times, keeping the device off, does not affect battery at all (or it is not noticable )

Best
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Krishirex
Krishirex began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Just discovered a new problem with charging. The charging led stays orange for hours on end when connected to usb on computer. The battery indicator stays on 3 bars in this case. This has been happening for 3 days in a row. I have done long resets, disconnected usb cable & reconnected, to no avail.

I wonder if there is a bug in the system which doesn't even allow proper charging, maybe why we are getting abysmal battery life. Last week when this business didn't happen, the battery would show 4 bars but I was lucky to get 4 hours out of it.

Looks like I will have to live with a crippled DR and go back to my original idea of getting a Tablet PC (HP's latest 2730P reportedly gives 5-6 hours & more when wifi is turned off, it also has an ultra slim battery which increases battery life to 11 hours).
Krishirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
They mentioned that the 1.02 firmware is not only fixing a bug that is causing the battery life to be too low, but that there is also a "charging problem" they are fixing. I haven't seen any specifics about what that means, but that might be what you are seeing with your device.

Hopefully 1.02 will be out soon. As someone else mentioned, there is some speculation on their site that the battery being drained even when the DR is "off" may mean that there is a process that isn't shutting down properly. That might be why 1.02 has been delayed while they track that down, but that's just a guess.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote