Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
sheljor
sheljor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Question Loading epub from SD card on Vox?

Hi all,

I was an owner of the wireless Kobo originally, and upgraded to the Vox when it was released. I am still trying to convince myself this was a good purchase.

My frustrations continue today...I bought a Kobo Touch for my mom for Christmas. She purchased a few books, and has given me an SD card with 2 of the epub files on it to put on my Vox. I try...the Vox finds the epubs, but continually errors when trying to transfer them. Kobo support tells me that sideloading is not available on the Vox. Does this mean that my mother and I cannot share our purchases between our 2 eReaders?

Someone please help!!!
sheljor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
No, most certainly you can't get the books for free if you didn't purchase them. It's not like kids getting "free" music off the Internet. Of course, there are ways for you to get the books illegally, but you'll have to figure that out for yourself.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You could if you were using the same account on both Voxes...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

WOW...... so oldyeller you have never bought a book then lent it to someone?
Just like you never bought an record and shared it?
Sheljor you can google how to do it if it is a DRM file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
No, most certainly you can't get the books for free if you didn't purchase them. It's not like kids getting "free" music off the Internet. Of course, there are ways for you to get the books illegally, but you'll have to figure that out for yourself.
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Sorry if I came across as a goody-two-shoes. Of course I've lent other people books I've bought. Some have never come back. I have about 1000 vinyl LPs dating back to the 1960s and dubbed many of them on cassette and made compilations for friends. I've photo copied sections out of library books as well. However, in today's digital world we can make exact clones, not fuzzy copies, without lifting our butts out of our chairs. That is why DRM was implemented to protect the authors and publishers so the industry can be sustainable. There are lots of posts here with hints how DRM may be circumvented or you can just ask Google. However, if people started posting verbatim instructions, they'd be banned from this board, or the board would get shut down.
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
sheljor

oldyellr - I wasn't trying to get the books illegally, nor was I looking for verbatim instructions. I am new to the Vox, and was simply wondering if I was doing something wrong...this is all new to me. I understood that you could share the files on other e-readers, I wanted to know if it was possible on the Vox. People always buy books, movies, etc., and give them to someone else to read, watch, etc., this is exactly the same thing.

GJSmith - thanks for your help, I have googled it, and I believe I have it all figured out now!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist

sheljor - I wasn't accusing you, just explaining the draconian measures that now exist to protect intellectual property. I'm sure you've read of some of the ludicrous charges that have been brought against ordinary people for alleged music piracy. This DRM thing is just one of the hoops we have to jump through.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
sheljor

Its frustrating that these measures are in place. As long as there have been books, people have lent their friends and family members books they enjoy. Its just another of the frustrations I have had with the Vox... So far, Google has been helpful!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheljor View Post
Its just another of the frustrations I have had with the Vox...
Kobo and the Vox are just the messengers here; it's not Kobo's fault that Adobe DRM'ed books can not be lent to someone else.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Yes, this is the fault of the publishers who clearly learned nothing from what happened to the music industry and are set to follow them down the same road.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
And it looks like they have managed to convince the US and CDN governments to their side...
There's a very interesting article in the Technology section of Friday's Globe and Mail, part of it quoted below and well worth a complete read...

Legislation threatens to turn Internet into an all-you-can-sue buffet

IVOR TOSSELL Last updated Friday, Dec. 30, 2011 10:14AM EST

Here’s what’s afoot: A pair of competing bills are working their way through the U.S. Congress that will take the crackdown on file-sharing to new extremes. Among other things, they would give the U.S. government the power to censor the Internet and its search engines, scrubbing references to foreign sites that trade in copyright violations. They would also give rights-holding companies the power to legally cut off advertising and search revenue from websites accused of copyright infringement by obtaining a court order. The laws could undermine the technological foundations the Internet is built on.

Could they become law? Yes: They have bipartisan support in both houses. America’s fractured government has finally found something that both parties can get behind – and it’s this.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote