Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
chaslevy
chaslevy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can I use Calibre to read any ebook in my Kindle?

Hi all,
This is my first post, and I hope you'll go easy with someone who is a real Tech dummy!

I recently acquired a Kindle eReader, and I am quite happy with it, but I am frustrated that I am unable to buy books unavailable at Amazon from some other source. When I found Calibre, I gladly downloaded it since I assume it is able to convert ebooks that I buy in a different format to the same format used by the Kindle. As a complete newbie to both Kindle and Calibre, I have 3 questions which I hope don’t sound completely naïve.
1) Am I correct in assuming that Calibre is able to convert ebooks that I buy in one format to the same format used by the Kindle so that I can read them on my Kindle?
2) Is it legal for me to buy a book from a store other than Amazon, or to download a library book to my PC, convert them to the Kindle format, and then upload them to my Kindle to read them?
2) If it is legal and I do it, can the Kindle software tell Amazon that I have done this, and is it a contravention of my agreement with Amazon on purchasing the Kindle which would justify them in disabling my Kindle?
chaslevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
There's more to this issue than merely format conversion. There is the issue of DRM (Digital Rights Management), and it is the big issue.

First off, Calibre is quite capable of handling the format conversions necessary. There are only a few, somewhat rare, number of vendors that distribute ebooks, free or for sale, in proprietary formats that Calibre can't convert.

Second, it is generally considered legal for you to convert formats for personal use. Third, Amazon has no qualms with you acquiring books from other sources and loading them on your Kindle. Their syncing software ignores anything other than books you've bought from Amazon.

Your problem will be DRM. Most books you purchase will be burdened with DRM. These books can't be converted to other formats, at least in their original state, and can't be used on devices or reader software that isn't "matched" to the file.

There are a few vendors which sell ebooks without DRM. Most of these will offer the books in a Kindle compatible format (usually Mobipocket format .MOBI or .PRC files) so that conversion isn't necessary. When they don't offer either MOBI or PRC files they generally offer ePub or other formats that Calibre can easily convert to MOBI for use on a Kindle.

Technically, most types of DRM can be stripped from ebook files and the resulting stripped files can be converted to other formats using tools like Calibre. Removing DRM is questionable from a legal standpoint and this forum does not allow discussion of DRM removal methods. Don't ask for help in removing DRM here.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
chaslevy

Thanks for that advice, dwig. So I gather that if I purchase an ebook without DRM, Amazon has no problem with me converting it to a compatible format with Calibre and putting it on my Kindle.
How does one find ebook sellers where books without DRM can be bought? And are they legal?
Old 01-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands. We've some good formatted DRMfree free classic ebooks on MR and you could look on the WIKI (top of the page).
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
chaslevy

Thanks desertblues --- this is a good place for friendly advice!
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

Have a look in the Library here, as Desertblues suggests, but also take a look at some of reader links in my signature line - there are no shortages of sites that sell books free of DRM (fictionwise with their multi-format versions, for instance).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
FrankP999
FrankP999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
WHat if I buy an ebook from B&N and download it to my pc. Can I then convert it for my Kindle?
FrankP999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only if you remove the DRM, which is of questionable legality. However, if it's for personal use only, nobody going to bother you about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
You can buy/obtain some legal DRM-free ebooks from:

- This forum (public domain books)
- Manybooks.net (public domain books)
- Fictionwise (choose only 'multiformat' books)
- Smashwords (indie/self-published books)
- Baen Books (sci-fi publisher)

If you are interested in indie books, I have been compiling an Indie eBook Hall of Fame where books can only be listed there if three independent bloggers have positively reviewed them. It's meant to be a good starting point for people like you You might also be interested in the Backlist Ebooks group, these are authors who were commercially published and later regained the rights to their backlist titles, which they are now re-publishing.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote