Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Changes to App Market and an Apple perspective

Summary

Shorter return periods, content filtering, and more promotional graphics are on the way for Android users and developers. Unfortunately we’re still stuck with the 325-character description limit.....

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/b...id-market/2151

and holy moley look at the spin apple puts on it:

Google rewarms Android Market, still half baked next to iPhone App Store

Despite the delivery of a variety of new and improved smartphone models, the Android experience is still straggling behind Apple's iPhone, particularly in the area of its App Store.....

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...app_store.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Instead of allowing users to instantly refund any purchase made within 24 hours, buyers will now only have 15 minutes to decide they don't want an app.
Blast them. That's what I get for buying from them. I've spent more than 60 euros in apps and I get this in return.

Last edited by Logseman; 12-11-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Fuck them. That's what I get for buying from them. I've spent more than 60 euros in apps and I get this in return.
Have you ever had to do a return?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Have you ever had to do a return?
Some of them. In fact, this allowed me to check some apps liberally. I tried some RSS readers, for example, until I found the best one for me (GReader Pro). Same with Twitter clients.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
kennyc

Thx

Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa

Complying with the PG-rating of this forum, I've edited the F bomb. I'd like to ask if you could remove it as well

However, they could just have set one hour or two. 15 minutes is ridiculous. The fact that you could have your money back was one of the things that made me very happy about Android's Market. Even if piracy is in my reach, I have supported it with good money.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
That seems an excessive reduction in the return period that could actually harm sales compared with something like an hour because if something doesn't win you over right away most will just tend to dump it rather than testing it more thoroughly and getting stuck with an app you don't want.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
15 minutes seems awfully short, although I'm usually able to make up my mind in that period. I've returned a couple of apps, mainly for two reasons: (a) the app Force Closes or freezes, and (b) after install it's glaringly obvious that it doesn't fit my needs.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
kennyc

I agree about the 15 mins thing....sheesh....unless there are downloadable trial versions.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
Logseman
Orisa

I've just returned an Android terminal emulator. I wish I could have been able to judge its functions a bit better, however... the 15 minute limit just doesn't let you.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Having just joined the Android army (sorry Desertgrandma, well done Kenny) I'd agree 15 minutes seems short, but in general I've found the Android Market perfectly useable - not at all the mess I'd been led to expect from some commentators. I've been able to find the things I want with no difficulty, and browsing from the phone came up with a great game (Star Trader Rpg) which I was more than happy to pay for. The 15 minutes testing period should be assessed against the fact that most of what I've been looking at had a free trial version anyway, and the user comments are generally illuminating.

What's more, we've also got websites like AndroidZoom which give desktop access to the market and assist with making choices.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I agree that 15 minutes is short. It's annoying, but not (to me) that big a deal. I think game developers were the ones pushing the hardest for this, since a lot of folks were installing games when they wanted to play them, then returning them until the next time.

This will just push more developers to put out hamstrung demos or feature-limited free versions, so I'm not sure it'll have that much of an effect overall.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote