Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
How do you find the Amazon case? I've read it adds substantial weight to the device but is it comfortable enough for one handed reading, for a few hours?
It does adds a little weight but nothing compare to the K3 Lighted Case. It's a really nice case. It feels like holding a real book. I love it. I have no problem using one hand just like KF I prop it on my chest but what I love about the case is it's perfect for holding. I don't fold back the cover though I read it like a book. I also put it in my 3Feet stand and prop it on my knee using a blankie. It's perfectly solid so it doesn't tumble over. I'm going to get one of those book beanies I love no hands reading but I love holding this Kindle so much more than the K4 which is super light. I know it's the case's texture and style that just makes it's a joy to hold.

I'm so happy I got that 40% off voucher and got the case otherwise I probably would have waited longer. It's what pushed me over to buy it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #47
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I mostly agree with your positive assessment of the Paperwhite. My only 'what the hell, Amazon' moment has come on finding that if you email things (converted via, e.g., Calibre) to your Kindle address, and it's a Paperwhite on the other end, the tag is unconditionally reset to PDOC, so back issues are never archived but *also* cannot be put in a collection, so they clutter up your index more and more as time goes by. So the device both knows it is a periodical and thinks it isn't, at the same time.

This seems like something which would be fairly easy (as these things go) to fix on a jailbroken Kindle: if something turns up over the wireless link which looks like a periodical but which has the wrong tag, fix the tag... thanks, Amazon, this worked perfectly on the K4. (And do I want to send all my periodicals via USB? Not hardly. Having emailed periodicals turn up while I'm still asleep is wonderful. I'd be much more willing to use USB for regular books than for periodicals, since regular books are purchased via an act of will and turn up at intermittent intervals rather than routinely.)
I don't use my Kindles for reading periodicals so I don't have a clue about any of this. I would email Kindle Support's feedback and ask them to fix this problem if works fine on other Kindles. I do use the PDoc cloud but for books only.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #48
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Oh hey, set in the UP where I live!
I don't often read romances but I read that one because of Christmas, which is a town about an hour from me.
Oh so you read it too! Wasn't is awesome? I love how they didn't jump into the relationship without weighing the pros and cons and I really liked all correspondences in the 13 chapter that showed that.

She has another series set in the same area called the North County series I bought the first two books. North County Man and Three Little Words But there is 4 books in the series.

Right now I am reading her book Maverick and loving it. Not 5 star worthy yet more a 4 stars unless something changes. I want to know why she stopped writing! Her last book was in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I'm glad to see this thread, I was wanting to know what you thought after you received your PW. I agree with you on every point, and am with you too on being pleasantly surprised that the screen is so good about fingerprints. MUCH prefer it to a shiny screen!

I'm so glad you're happy! I too have read even more on my PW than I have on my other ereaders - 3 books in the few days I've had it. Course now I'm back to work so it's harder....

The only thing that troubles me is the smaller amount of storage. I know, I know, Cloud - but I don't like to feel corralled in so much.
I use the PDoc cloud only. I have other Kindles so I need all my Books to be in sync with each other and this allows me not only send the same book to all Kindles I own but keep them sync together in collections and last read...etc.

I truly have not had a problem with storage on my K4s. I have 150 book limit at a time or I would never find anything! I also use Dropbox to keep my entire Book Library in and email using my phone or tablet if I am away from the computer. So it all works for me.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #49
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
I want to know why she stopped writing! Her last book was in 2010.
I know, I wondered too! I always like to support Yooper writers.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #50
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Thank you! That's probably the most thorough review I've read of the cover! Just a couple of things I don't quite understand really well. Do you mean the rubbery part and the leather are the same color? When you say the color of the leather part matches the rubbery plastic part. I'd probably get the black one.

And what do you mean you can fold back and stick a finger in? Folding back will be the only way i read if i get the case. I dont quite understand what you mean by i can stick a finger in and hold it shit. I was thinking four fingers will be behind the device, resting on the cloth interior of the case with the thumb on the bezel to flip pages.

Thank you again for this post! I daresay you've convinced me to get it.

P.S I tried to give you karma but apparently i have to give karma to others before giving it back to you. Will do so soon!
Ok what did I mean with sticking your finger in. Imagine you hold the cover with four fingers in the back and thumb in the front. Now you want to change the page. You lift your thumb up a bit slide over to the screen and want to change the page. OOOOPS, you PW just fell out of your hands as the thumb not holding it no more. So instead of losing the PW, you stick your index finger right behind the PW, then fold the cover on top of it, then the other fingers behind. You squeeze your index finger basically inbetween the cover. Now if you lift your thumb, you simply hold the PW by pushing your index finger back towards the other fingers getting a hold of the front part of the cover only. Thumb is free to change the page and PW is not going to slip out of your hand. The part of the cover that "grabs" the Kindle is visible when the cover is open. On lighter colors that might be distractive, on darker colors maybe less so. If that is undesired and you don't want to go aftermarket, then you need the black cover. See attached picture ( borrowed from Amazon ) for what I mean by wrap around. Me personally like that you can see the color. Others might not. The yellow in the attached I would not buy, too bright.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #51
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Ok what did I mean with sticking your finger in. Imagine you hold the cover with four fingers in the back and thumb in the front. Now you want to change the page. You lift your thumb up a bit slide over to the screen and want to change the page. OOOOPS, you PW just fell out of your hands as the thumb not holding it no more. So instead of losing the PW, you stick your index finger right behind the PW, then fold the cover on top of it, then the other fingers behind. You squeeze your index finger basically inbetween the cover. Now if you lift your thumb, you simply hold the PW by pushing your index finger back towards the other fingers getting a hold of the front part of the cover only. Thumb is free to change the page and PW is not going to slip out of your hand. The part of the cover that "grabs" the Kindle is visible when the cover is open. On lighter colors that might be distractive, on darker colors maybe less so. If that is undesired and you don't want to go aftermarket, then you need the black cover. See attached picture ( borrowed from Amazon ) for what I mean by wrap around. Me personally like that you can see the color. Others might not. The yellow in the attached I would not buy, too bright.
Ah excellent point. Hadn't considered that. Never owned any tablets(no use for them) or e-readers before. I personally do like that you can see the colour. Adds a touch of class to it I feel. Still, going with the black.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Ah excellent point. Hadn't considered that. Never owned any tablets(no use for them) or e-readers before. I personally do like that you can see the colour. Adds a touch of class to it I feel. Still, going with the black.
I do my one hand reading different. I hold it at the bottom and use my thumb to wave over the screen barely touching the edge of the screen. My thumb never moves from it's position so no losing your grip. I don't folder the cover back. The bezel is so big that there is plenty of places to hold on.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #53
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
My wife got hers this morning. I was surprised that it feels so heavy! At least that ought to indicate it's robust.
Unfortunately there are two pixels shining brightly across the bottom half of the screen, and at least one other of a lesser brightness.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #54
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
My wife got hers this morning. I was surprised that it feels so heavy! At least that ought to indicate it's robust.
Unfortunately there are two pixels shining brightly across the bottom half of the screen, and at least one other of a lesser brightness.
Time to call in for a replacement. The specks do happen. Sorry you got a bad one.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #55
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
That's a shame, I'm sorry. I had this same problem with a couple of mine too. QC has not been the best for the PW. I would recommend returning it for a refund stating it's defective/damaged so they cover your return shipping and then place a new order.

I would do this over going for a replacement/exchange because more than a few of us have experienced them not sending a new PW as a replacement (even if you're within 30 days) and instead sending a used PW. Good luck with your next one.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #56
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
One's on its way as I write; first class post, expected tomorrow (Wednesday) with 30 days in which to return the defective one.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote