Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
SterlingKingSize
SterlingKingSize began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cheap E-book Reader - advice and recommendations please!

I am looking for a cheap (and I mean cheap!) e-book reader, and have been looking into a PDA or tablet (secondhand). I'm a card-carrying printed book reader of many years' standing, and want to try out an e-book reader before I make the leap to Kindle/Kobo/Nook/Sony Ereader etc.

I would only be using for e-books and nothing else, except maybe note-taking so a simple text editor would be helpful

Having looked on the forum I have been reading good things about Palm PDAs. But which is the best model for e-books? (I've never owned or even used a Palm.) Screen resolution/readability and battery life would be most important. What are the must-have accessories when buying secondhand?

Any other recommendations, for example for tablets?

You can point me in the direction of other forum threads if this subject has already been covered elsewhere.

Thanx in advance from a first-time poster
SterlingKingSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
There are some 7 inch tablets for 100 plus a little that would work and Amazon has some 4-5 inch ones for 60-80 bucks - if palm is big enough that would also be.

But the kindle and nook have regular ereaders for that area as well. Target has them side by side if you want to snoop. Note taking wouldn't happen probably on a dedicated ereader though.

There are some bigger hand helds that run windows ce that might work. Search Ebay for mobilepro and jornada and you will find some probably.

For the money I would suggest a 7 inch tablet for comfortable reading. the 4-5 work okay but there is a lot of page turning :-)
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I am not sure if they are still available in stores (They are sold out online) but for a while Target was running a close out on iRiver StoryHD readers. $50. And it probably has the best ePaper screen out there right now.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I think Walmart has a $79 Kindle on sale next week and you get a $30 gift card.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Our targets in OR have the Iriver for 49.95 right now.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
SterlingKingSize
SterlingKingSize began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for all the advice, much appreciated
SterlingKingSize is offline   Reply With Quote