Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
Filter out Nook Color threads?

I noticed that there is a way for Nook Color owners to filter out the forum so that they only see their pertinent threads.

As great as the NC is, I'm just not interested in it and it's increasingly overtaking the forum. Is there any way for me to filter out the NC threads in the same manner they can do? --Actually, that's sort of a redundant question. I know there isn't. Mods, is there any way you can add this functionality?
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
wallyworld
wallyworld began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (?)
Agreed!

If there is no way to filter these out, can there be a separate section? Break up Nook and Nook Color?

Wally
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtexmex View Post
I noticed that there is a way for Nook Color owners to filter out the forum so that they only see their pertinent threads.

As great as the NC is, I'm just not interested in it and it's increasingly overtaking the forum. Is there any way for me to filter out the NC threads in the same manner they can do? --Actually, that's sort of a redundant question. I know there isn't. Mods, is there any way you can add this functionality?
You could just ignore all threads with the "color" prefix. The mods added that feature so they wouldn't have to split the Nook into two separate forums.

Oh wait, that doesn't work because many people are starting threads without using the "color" prefix; thereby making it look like it's a Classic Nook thread.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I think one forum for both is fine, and the mods did a good job adding the "colour" prefix.

But, as has been pointed out, now one can filter and show only the "colour" threads but not the other way around.

My suggestion would be to add a "classic" prefix as well. This way one can filter either way. There will still be many threads without prefixes (especially at first given all the older non-prefixed threads) but it should work well enough. That's how the Sony forum is and it works fine with three different current readers and many older versions as well all in the same forum.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
wallyworld
wallyworld began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (?)
Really, they are two VERY different subjects.....
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Although I'm new to MobileRead, I believe they should be split into different forums. They really are 2 different beasts (especially with the new capabilities of the Nook Color now that it has been rooted/hacked).
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Start a poll, take a vote, maybe they will split it then.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
redbird
redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.redbird once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
I think they should both have prefixes available. Sometimes people write about B&N rather than color or classic, so it's valuable to have them combined in one forum category.
redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I don't think there is a need to separate the two. None of the Kindle or Sony forum split for different models. A "color" prefix is already added to differentiate the threads; if people don't like a certain subject, it seems to be a simple task to just ignore it. I own a Classic Nook as well as Nook Color and I am interested in all the relating posts. They are made by the same company and share some of the common B&N generic offers (Lend me, read in store, free books, B&N discount/ policies); I believe a single forum to cover both of them is advantageous to most of the users.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
They share features as well, the shelf feature, the bookmark syncing, they B&N wishlist and shopping.

I believe their is good reason to keep them together.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I am seeing entirely too many posts where it is not at all clear which version of Nook is being talked about. Not a big deal, but an annoying waste of time.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
A "color" prefix is already added to differentiate the threads; if people don't like a certain subject, it seems to be a simple task to just ignore it.
That's all well and good if people who start threads would use the prefix. The problem is, not everyone does. Of the 25 threads on the front page, 9 are marked with the "color" prefix. Does that mean the rest of the threads are about the Nook Classic or general B&N topics? No, because an additional 5 threads are also about the Nook Color, but aren't marked as such.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Is there maybe some way to fix things so that someone HAS to choose either "classic" or "color" before they can send their post?
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
^That would eliminate the possibility of threads about the B&N experience in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's all well and good if people who start threads would use the prefix. The problem is, not everyone does. Of the 25 threads on the front page, 9 are marked with the "color" prefix. Does that mean the rest of the threads are about the Nook Classic or general B&N topics? No, because an additional 5 threads are also about the Nook Color, but aren't marked as such.
The same thing happens in the other forum areas and is not a problem. In Sony, there are plenty of threads about a specific reader that is not marked.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
I don't mind them being in one thread, and I don't think that even a "classic" tag is necessary. I was thinking that just *one more* filter could be added that takes away the ones with the "Color" tag. That provides the most flexibility and widest breadth for satisfaction.
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote