Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
covers and casing for nooks.

i'm thinking of buy a silicone protector for my nook.. but was tempted by the jack spade sleeve on B&N.

anyone have any bad experience with silicone casing?
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
I haven't heard from anyone who liked their silicone casing. The things apparently are huge magnets for dust and hair.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
morari
The Word-Eater
morari began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
The silicone casing that I purchased looked great the Nook, but didn't fit properly. The edges around the screen would bow outward. Maybe the "official B&N brand" silicone cases are better, but I have a hard time believing it. It did attract an awful lot of dust too.

I've been happy with my "Industriell Cover". I wish that it had two clips on the top and bottom (as indicated by the cutouts in the Nook itself), but other than that it's been great. I've been looking at the full-device Wrapsol covers to go along with it. The screen-protectors I bought at B&N don't really cover quite as well as they should.
morari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

so i should stay away from silicone cases? how about this case ?
http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Cont...?cds2Pid=30687
Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Personally, I hate silicone cases. They always seem to get dust and small debris stuck under them and then it rubs against the device. They are also always dusty.

I went into B&N and tried one of the sleeves you posted above, it was ok, but I just didn't care for it. I want something flush so it isn't awkward when using the page turn buttons. I ended up getting a skin, which won't prevent big damage, but can prevent small scratches and dings. I like the book type cases that offer more protection, but I didn't want my nook any bigger, so I bought a sleeve as well. That way when I throw it in my purse my keys etc.. won't scratch it.

It's all a personal preference. If you don't mind something bigger, I'd say go for a book type case. The employees will let you try the different styles on your nook too, so you can see what you like. They don't sell skins though.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

i think those book type cases are too bulky for me. so don't think i will be getting that.

i love the skins too.. but how does it protect the nook and are there plain colours?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Not a fan of the way the silicone covers look and with a regular book cover you can at least clip a book light to it. The waxwork Jack Spade cover is really tempting at 50% off right now.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

i think i'll most like buy a skin and get the jack spade cover
Old 08-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson7lim View Post
i think those book type cases are too bulky for me. so don't think i will be getting that.

i love the skins too.. but how does it protect the nook and are there plain colours?
The protection is minimum. But if something were to rub up against the outside of the nook, it would scratch the skin, not the nook. Now if it was a huge gash, it would damage both, but it at least offers something for regular wear and tear. Also, my fingers aren't actually touching the page <> buttons, so I don't have to worry about them getting grungy.

There are tons of places to get skins from, just google nook skins and have a look. Gelaskins.com and DecalGirl.com are pretty popular places for skins and people seem happy with them.

If you are going to get a cover, you don't really need a skin. Unless you want to spice up your nook.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I bought both the skin and cover for my Nook. Skin is more for the "look" instead of protecting anything.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Has anyone seen a cover that clips onto the nook just on the front side. It could use the clip holes at the top and bottom of the nook.

I would like something like this that could only cover the screen. The back is sturdy enough I think it's a waste to cover it. That just adds bulk to the nook in my bag.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
Has anyone seen a cover that clips onto the nook just on the front side. It could use the clip holes at the top and bottom of the nook.

I would like something like this that could only cover the screen. The back is sturdy enough I think it's a waste to cover it. That just adds bulk to the nook in my bag.
Barnes & Noble has an Industriell front cover that clips on and leaves the back bare. After destroying my Sony 505 in a drop, I will take a bulkier case to provide sufficient protection. I am still shocked that Barnes & Noble do not offer a rigid case that zips around the edges to keep out everything. I guess they are hoping that people who go more for style over protection will need to get a new unit sooner rather than later. I don't think any of the big ebook reader companies offer a rigid zip case. I have seen zip cases for the Kindle and Sony but they are soft, so no screen protection there. My homebrew has rigid screen protection as well as padding for shock absorption in a zip around cover. I will stick with that for now unless I find something better.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
verily
verily began at the beginning.

I'm contemplating just getting the Hutton envelope case for storage and holding the bare nook to read. I'm concerned that a fixed cover would just add a lot of bulk to the device while holding it.
verily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post

The Industrial front cover was the one I ordered with my Nook. IMO it just didn't seem sturdy enough to protect the screen or the back of it. I eventually did return it and get a different cover from B&N.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote