Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Bought a nook......

had a couple forgotten bn gift cards, got it for $111.00.....had a prs505 and a prs900 before but sold those....the price of the nook was just too good to beat, leaves me open to still get a color comic tablet reader of some type down the road.

hopefully this one will do the job of basic novel reading.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

btw, what lights do you guys use....was thinking of the Lyra one that bn sells with case.
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I have read that the Lyra isn't bright enough, I am thinking of getting the Hydra light, which has 2 heads so the whole screen will get lit.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Mojoman
Enthusiast
Mojoman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have the Lyra light from BN. It's bright enough for reading but the reflections on the screen are terrible. Even worse are the very bright spots of light on the edges of the nook frame right near the screen. I find myself constantly moving the light head to eliminate the glare on the screen, but can never get rid of the two spots of light on the edges. I'll continue to use it until I see a good review on a different one.
Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Astro
Astro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
I have read that the Lyra isn't bright enough, I am thinking of getting the Hydra light, which has 2 heads so the whole screen will get lit.
I have the Lyra Book Light Case for the nook and in a dark room it puts out a lot of light. I'm currently playing with translucent tape over the three LED's to turn it from an interrogation light to a reading light.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Gwen2479
Gwen2479 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Book Light

I am currently using the Mighty Bright Travel Flex book light. It is small and light and fits well along the spine of my nook cover. It has 1 LED light and is plenty bright with no glare. I like it because it uses 1 AAA battery and was only $12.99. So far it works well and comes with some nice color choices - black, silver, blue, pink, purple, and green.
Mighty Bright also makes a few other models that are a little bigger 3 AAA batteries and some with 2 flex heads. B&N sells them on their website, Amazon, and ebay have them, also you can get it from the company too.
If you are looking for 1 for a case, I hear the M-Edge nook case and M-Edge case light are nice too.
Good luck with your book light search!
Gwen2479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
krighton
Addict

yes, saw the M-Edge at best buy, may be considering that one and the light....looks pretty sturdy.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
delaplane
delaplane began at the beginning.

Device: nook hd+, nook, touchpad, transformer, note
I'd stay away from any light that uses the flat watch-style batteries like the CR32. Those batteries cost quite a bit more and are not as readily available.

I've got the m-edge light and one of their cases. The light is a double-led unit and uses aaa batteries. It's bright enough but I wish it was about an inch longer though so it would reach a little more towards the bottom of the screen.
delaplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaplane View Post
I've got the m-edge light and one of their cases. The light is a double-led unit and uses aaa batteries. It's bright enough but I wish it was about an inch longer though so it would reach a little more towards the bottom of the screen.
Someone accidentally ordered the Kindle M-edge light for their nook and said it was longer and hung about an inch below the cover when stored. Maybe that's your solution. I have the M-edge go jacket with the light and love it.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I prefer a lantern...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I use
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26822

it's a great little light and for the price you can not go wrong.. If you buy this check out the batteries as well

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.751

Free shipping ...a cup of coffee costs more
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
sagiquarion
sagiquarion began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo, PRS-900 DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
had a couple forgotten bn gift cards, got it for $111.00.....had a prs505 and a prs900 before but sold those....the price of the nook was just too good to beat, leaves me open to still get a color comic tablet reader of some type down the road.

hopefully this one will do the job of basic novel reading.
Dude, I've been keeping my eye out for such a thing for eons now. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for an ipad given it's limitations. I'm mean, it would be a good ereader with stanza and the marvel comic app, etc but the price and limitations make my man parts ache. I have been trying to settle on an ereader for months. I really like the nook and prs900 but I can't justify the screen compromise with the price of the later. Now that nook is $149, there is little competition at this point unless I'm missing something.
sagiquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
krighton
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagiquarion View Post
Dude, I've been keeping my eye out for such a thing for eons now. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for an ipad given it's limitations. I'm mean, it would be a good ereader with stanza and the marvel comic app, etc but the price and limitations make my man parts ache. I have been trying to settle on an ereader for months. I really like the nook and prs900 but I can't justify the screen compromise with the price of the later. Now that nook is $149, there is little competition at this point unless I'm missing something.
not doing the IPAD for comic reading...main reason is cost (and the size is smaller than a comic so i'd have to zoom in which i would hate), also they don't take paypal which is where all my fun money is tied up in....i'm waiting for the EXOPC to come out in september...should be a nice comic reading device. I'd say the nook at $149 is the best deal in town for what you get.