Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
It's odd to me, as holding it right handed, as intended, a lot of the devices disconnect. That seems like it should of been seen before they started making them.

Also, congrats, Harry, because there are no more iPhone 4 in the UK.

http://bit.ly/cNjPTo
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we please have the full link? Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

As a radio person I can state that anytime you touch the bare metal elements of any antenna you run a major risk of de-tuning the antenna. For Apple to design an exposed metal antenna, or parts thereof (elements) there must have been a complete lack of antenna knowledge by their engineers. Either that or they did it on purpose to sell those expensive rubber bands they call bumpers for $30! An antenna should be completely shielded from sweaty hands. I suspect that whether you hold it in your left hand or right hand the antenna loss is probably significant (5 to 10 dB) regardless of how many bars are arbitrarily displayed by the firmware. iphones are notoriously difficult to receive calls from (at least via AT&T). By that i mean if I receive a call from a person with an iPhone chances are high that I will have trouble hearing them. I don't seem to have that problem with non-iPhone phones. So this new one will probably be nearly impossible to receive calls from. Apple has a really slick device in the iPhone, but the actual cellular phone part is third rate.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-24-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hi Jon,

That TinyURL resolves to:

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...-globally.html

Glad you asked?

Seriously, why does it matter? Any website address can be spoofed. No URL is inherently "safe" (not trying to quibble, just curious about your reason for asking - thanks!)

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Odd - I can't make my iphone4 lose reception. Maybe my fingers aren't moist enough right now. I'll have to try again later when I have lotion on them.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
sorry, i copied the link from modmyi's twitter.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
It likely depends on how good your reception is to start with.

I remember with my Touch, I bought one of those fancy skins. It was a really nice looking metallic face plate. Thing was when I put it on, my wifi signal went to like .5 bars. It took me a couple days to suspect that was the cause and sure enough, I peel it off and full strength...
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #23
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
It likely depends on how good your reception is to start with.

I remember with my Touch, I bought one of those fancy skins. It was a really nice looking metallic face plate. Thing was when I put it on, my wifi signal went to like .5 bars. It took me a couple days to suspect that was the cause and sure enough, I peel it off and full strength...
wifi is a completely different animal.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
wifi is a completely different animal.
Just pointing out Apple's design issues. The iPhone has had numerous issues with their 3G and wifi people have reported poor signals, dropped calls ever since it came out. Some are certainly in the design but I was pointing out a simple skin can cause communication problems when many wouldn't think of it.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 AM   #25
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's sure looking that way. It's actually not a practical problem - you just have to hold the phone by its sides only. Do that and it's fine. But I'm sure there'll be those who will make out that it's the end of the world .

I'm rather surprised that it didn't show up in testing, because it's an immediately obvious effect. If you hold the phone by its edges, and then press your palm into the base of it, the signal slowly fades to absolutely nothing in about 15 sec. Take your palm away and it fades back in again to full strength in about the same time.
It did show up in testing. Why do you think they are selling the colorful bumpers?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've verified that if you hold the bottom left corner (the place that causes the problem) with something insulating, the problem doesn't occur, so any case or cover which insulates the stainless steel edge of the phone (the antenna) from the user's skin should fix it. Apple's rubber "bumpers" should work just fine. I'm going to go back to the Apple Store this evening and request a free "bumper" - I'm certainly not willing to pay to fix what's quite plainly a design flaw in the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:01 AM   #27
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've verified that if you hold the bottom left corner (the place that causes the problem) with something insulating, the problem doesn't occur, so any case or cover which insulates the stainless steel edge of the phone (the antenna) from the user's skin should fix it. Apple's rubber "bumpers" should work just fine. I'm going to go back to the Apple Store this evening and request a free "bumper" - I'm certainly not willing to pay to fix what's quite plainly a design flaw in the device.
If they don't provide it, return (replace?) the device. No reason to have to put up with this.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
If they don't provide it, return (replace?) the device. No reason to have to put up with this.
It doesn't actually affect me personally because, being left-handed, I hold the phone in my right hand, so it's the bottom right corner of the phone that's in my palm. It's only when you hold the phone in your left hand (as a right-handed person would do) that you see the problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #29
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
From a BBC link Here

"Quote .....

Apple has released official advice for iPhone 4 owners to overcome the problem of the device losing signal when held by the lower left corner.

Steve Jobs responded to a query about the problem from one owner by saying: "Just avoid holding it in that way."

The official advice is to "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band".

Alternatively, said Apple, customers could buy a case to shield the antenna. ......"

All I can say is
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #30
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
@Geoffc - IF there is a design flaw, then Apple needs to provide a fix. Perhaps free "Rubber Band" things, or cases...... "avoid holding it that way" and "customers could buy a case" are down right offensive.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote