Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Alex start a Jetbook Forum?
Yes, C'mon Alex!! 90 79.65%
No 14 12.39%
I'd like to follow the results 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #91
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for that link, Kralik. I need to revisit the wiki.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #92
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post

I've heard it has a better contrast ratio, better suited for low-light reading? Can anyone who's tried both (jetBook and e-ink) confirm?

BTW, any jetBook users know if you can change it to 2-level grayscale to save power? Just curious, as I figured out that you can change the contrast settings. Seemed like an interesting idea...
I'm probably the person you are thinking of. I originally bought a Sony PRS505 at Target. I found the contrast of the screen insufficient (for me) in the typical, moderate room lighting that I have. I returned the PRS505 and ordered a jetBook when NewEgg had them on sale a few months ago. I find that the contrast of the reflective (non backlit) LCD screen is much better, even in lower light than normal.

After I posted about this on MR, others also acknowledged that contrast was an issue for them with eInk. On the flip side, other MR members don't have a problem with the contrast of eInk. You really need to try it yourself, in low light, before buying. In bright light, the eInk screen is beautiful and very contrasty.

As for changing the jetBook to B&W, I doubt it would save significant power, if it was even possible to change this. EDIT: After reading the Wikipedia article, I see that B&W mode would save considerable power. I don't know if there is any way for a user to change this. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, as the current battery life is more than adequate for my needs. Maybe some day we'll all be reading on Star Trek PADDs, powered by dilithium crystals

I didn't notice that there was a contrast setting. I assume you found this in the "diagnostic" menu?

Last edited by jgray; 08-17-2009 at 01:00 AM.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 AM   #93
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
What all three of you say makes a lot of sense, particularly focusing initially on the home market. After all, that's what Amazon is doing.

I gather that just in the past couple of months the new firmware has put the jetBook back in the game.

Somewhere here in the past 24 hours I saw someone's post that said that after becoming used to the jetBook, the eInk screen seems a little "blurry".

Kris, evidently you don't find the jetBook's darker background a problem. I wish I had the opportunity to hold both types of screens in my hands and compare.
jetBook vs Kindle screen:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=98
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #94
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks Kris. In that photo the jetBook almost seems to be backlit compared to the Kindle.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #95
akira28
Nameless Being

LCD contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
When the Jetbook has the light shining from the right side, as it appears in these photos, the text takes on a slightly bluish haze and looses a little contrast. Had the light been from the left I believe the shot would have shown the Jetbook to have even more contrast and prove beyond any doubt that, at least in that aspect, the Jetbook's screen far superior to e-Ink.

Last edited by akira28; 08-18-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #96
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
When the Jetbook has the light shining from the right side, as it appears in these photos, the text takes on a slightly bluish haze and looses a little contrast. Had the light been from the left I believe the shot would have shown the Jetbook to have even more contrast and prove beyond any doubt that, at least in that aspect, the Jetbook's screen far superior to e-Ink.
Once again! I have a jetBook and a PRS505. For my eyes (and I understand everyone is different) the jetBook is easier to read. In fact the only time I turn the Sony on now-days is to compare it to the jetBook, and when I'm demoing it to a potential buyer.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #97
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks Kris. In that photo the jetBook almost seems to be backlit compared to the Kindle.
well it is backlit as compared to the Kindle. A reflective display means that there is a mirror behind the pixels and the Sunlight reflects off the mirror to provide the contrast you see. It reflects.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #98
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I guess the answer is yes!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #99
bonteku
Interested Observer
bonteku began at the beginning.

Device: Palm tx/Jetbook
Thankyou,Alex
bonteku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #100
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
It's here, it's here Our jetBook forum! Yea!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #101
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Thanks!
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #102
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Many thanks!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #103
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Yaaaaa!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #104
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Any mod.........now that this has been settled, can we close this thread?

Thank you!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #105
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Any mod.........now that this has been settled, can we close this thread?

Thank you!
No! Thank YOU!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote