Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Cocytus
Cocytus began at the beginning.

Device: none
eInk for business

Greetings,

I'm looking for an e-Ink reader that I can use at work.

This means several key features:
1. Needs to open .doc (.docx a plus)
2. Needs to open .pdf
3. Needs 9+ hours of battery life
4. Needs wifi access (if no wifi then needs to be linux compatible for any
copying of data)

Reading of other files types a plus, but not needed

I welcome any suggestions on what I should buy.

Thank you,
Cocytus
Cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Cocytus!

I'm not sure there is a device that meets those criteria at present. I'd suggest that you take a look at the iRex Digital Reader (DR1000 series). It probably comes the closest at present, but it still has a bit to go, most notably in the battery life department. It's a new enough device that they don't have the power saving features implemented on it just yet.

There's a forum here dedicated to it, so that's probably a good place to start.

I should probably also point out that there are rumors of other devices in the works that would fall somewhere near what you're looking for, so if you wait a half-year or so, you may find you have some more options.

Hope that helps.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The device closest to your needs has been announced for 1H09 (June?) release by Plastic Locic, see the wiki (or search the forums).

Of current devices, the DR1000S is closest (DR1000SW with wifi announced but not released yet). It does not support .doc or .docx, and being Linux based this may not be easy to add. However, iRex has released a SDK for the device and is supporting 3rd party development. So if you know of a Linux DOC reader application, bring it up in the DR1000 forum.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It does not support .doc or .docx, and being Linux based this may not be easy to add.
Why? OpenOffice supports .doc and I think 3.0 supports .docx files and it runs on Linux. Why does linux make it not easy? I run MS Office 2008 on my Mac that reads those files, and Mac is basically a BSD based machine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why? OpenOffice supports .doc and I think 3.0 supports .docx files and it runs on Linux. Why does linux make it not easy? I run MS Office 2008 on my Mac that reads those files, and Mac is basically a BSD based machine.
Yes, but your Mac does not have 128 MB of memory and a relatively underpowered CPU. There are less resource hungry apps than OpenOffice that might work. For example Abiword has been ported to the iLiad. What is missing is a lightweight DOC/DOCX reader (not a full word processor). The reason that Plastic Logic can supply this is that it runs WinCE, and so has a reader app provided by MicroSoft.
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, but your Mac does not have 128 MB of memory and a relatively underpowered CPU. There are less resource hungry apps than OpenOffice that might work. For example Abiword has been ported to the iLiad. What is missing is a lightweight DOC/DOCX reader (not a full word processor). The reason that Plastic Logic can supply this is that it runs WinCE, and so has a reader app provided by MicroSoft.
Ok, I still don't think displaying the document would be any different regardless of what format it is stored in. I think a complex doc in .html that can be displayed would also be displayable from a .doc file. It really is about the complexity of the layout not the container of the data and markup that is important.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, I still don't think displaying the document would be any different regardless of what format it is stored in. I think a complex doc in .html that can be displayed would also be displayable from a .doc file. It really is about the complexity of the layout not the container of the data and markup that is important.

BOb
Well, for processing it is both. Look at the format for ODT and DOCX in the wiki. They require opening a zip file and parsing a verbose description (ODT is worse) of the data that includes all sorts of extra data to keep track of. In addition there are multiple files that must be opened and used to keep track of information. As compared to MOBI which uses a optimized format that streamlines the display of data for less powerful devices. Even the compression technology is designed for rapid reading on small devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I'd ask a slightly different question. Why does it need to open .doc files. Why not just print to pdf?

I thought the same when I was looking, but then realised that a you cannot edit anything on an ereader (Iliad/DR scribbles excluded), it is generally very little more work to print to pdf & copy across rather than just copy the doc or rtf file. I agree that pdf's have their own little problems on ereaders however.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Why not just print to pdf?
From a Windows PC you are supposed to be able to print any document directly to the DR1000. I have not seen any reports of this working, but printing to PDF and then manually copying the file over presumably has the same effect.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
You can't print straight to the DR1000. It does come with a PDF creator programme if you don't already have one, so you effectively create a pdf file & then transfer it to the DR1000.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote