Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
dKodiak
dKodiak began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy S4
Cover size in eBooks

Sorry if not posted in correct forum.

I like my Covers to keep the same aspect ratio whatever device I read them on.

So I usually go in and change the svg from preserveAspectRatio="none" to preserveAspectRatio="xMid yMid meet".

This centers the cover, as well as automatically resize it to fit the screen while preserving the aspect ratio. I would like to know if there is an easy way to do this when I replace or add a new cover to the file without having to edit every single file?

Like an option in "polish ebook" and add/replace cover.

I have a quite a few ebooks, and it is very time consuming to have to edit each book.

Thank you,

Daniel
dKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dKodiak View Post
Like an option in "polish ebook" and add/replace cover.
I'm a little confused by your question because if you already know about calibre's Polish ebook option then surely you will also have seen the checkbox for 'Update the cover in the book files'. Did something go wrong when you tried this?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
dKodiak

The svg code puts in preserveAspectRatio="none" in Polish ebook. which does not preserve the aspect ratio. The cover fills the screen. I use preserveAspectRatio="xMid yMid meet" which centers and keeps the aspect ratio. So I have to go in and edit each book after I polish it.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKodiak View Post
The svg code puts in preserveAspectRatio="none" in Polish ebook. which does not preserve the aspect ratio. The cover fills the screen. I use preserveAspectRatio="xMid yMid meet" which centers and keeps the aspect ratio. So I have to go in and edit each book after I polish it.
Ah, OK, it sounds like you need to revisit calibre Preferences:

Prefs - Change calibre behaviour - Conversion:Output Options - EPUB Output

then check the box labeled 'Preserve cover aspect ratio' followed by the 'Apply' button. You may need to restart calibre afterwards.

Then try Polish again.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-14-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Forgot the Apply button
Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
dKodiak

Here are screenshots of what I am talking about.

In the first png, on the left is preserveAspectRatio="none" and on the right is preserveAspectRatio="xMid yMid meet".

The second screenshot is the coding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-14 (1).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	151617   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-14 (2).png
Views:	201
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	151618  
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I know what you're talking about. Changing your calibre Prefs as per my previous post above then re-running Polish should fix that.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
dKodiak

It worked, thank you. I knew there was a way....Just could not find it.

It has been a couple of years between when I last set up caliber and this time, I thought I had it before and probably did.

Tags
aspect ratio, cover