Old 11-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #16
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kacir,

Seems to me that they've got the price right, judging from the flood of initial orders.

For now...

Its right for those people who do not want to wait any longer to get on board with an e-ink device and so will pay any price. The first rush if you like.

Whether it continues to be the right price I guess depends on the price that Sony set when they launch in the UK and that Amazon set when/if the Kindle materialises (and assuming being Amazon that it will be available outside the US). Also their price differential is wide enough that buying the cybook from the States through a reseller (NAEB?? hint hint ) could be an option too.

They have certainly managed to alienate some customers, me included, when they didn't need to.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
For now...

Its right for those people who do not want to wait any longer to get on board with an e-ink device and so will pay any price. The first rush if you like.
I'm afraid I disagree. For many people who are buying it certainly won't be their first eInk device. It will be my third, for example.

Quote:
Whether it continues to be the right price I guess depends on the price that Sony set when they launch in the UK and that Amazon set when/if the Kindle materialises (and assuming being Amazon that it will be available outside the US). Also their price differential is wide enough that buying the cybook from the States through a reseller (NAEB?? hint hint ) could be an option too.
The market will determine whether or not the price is right in the longer term. As I've said before, though, I certainly don't think that anyone has the right to criticise Bookeen for their pricing policy - they have an absolute right to charge whatever they wish to whomever they wish, just as the customer hs a right to decide whether or not to buy at that price.

Quote:
They have certainly managed to alienate some customers, me included, when they didn't need to.
I'm afraid that I honestly don't see WHY you feel alienated. You don't have to buy a Gen3 if you don't wish to; there are a number of alternate products available to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I might fell alienated if the lower the price with 100 Euro in a month or so...

I bought an Archos 604 WiFi in Sweden and the price I had to pay was a lot more than the price in the US. So I am used to it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #19
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
VAT is 19.6% in France, so with a 1€=1.20$ rate this price would be fair,
once more even if it's true that we get fucked in europe by apple and sony
(apple applies a 1€=1$ policy, then add the french piracy tax which
depends on the size of the storage device) it's still not a good reason.
Well, at least, Bookeen didn't add the "piracy tax" on top of its european price!

It's already included in the 350 € we pay in France for the Cybook Gen3. And the eco-tax on electronic products is covered too.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Question Any recent order from Bookeen

Has anybody bought/ordered Gen3 from Bookeen recently.

I ordered in GBP - and with shipping expected to pay the amount that came through on my invoice.

Looking at my credit card statement, the amount is higher ? Any ideas what might be going on ?

I am wondering if they've charged me in Euros, and there has been a currency exchange payment.

Puzzled ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Best thing to do is ask them! Perhaps there's been an error.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have, just waiting for a reply - but just wondered what others' experience was .
Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Did your credit card bill show a conversion from Euros? I'm pretty sure that I was billed in Pounds directly, and that it was the correct amount (including shipping, of course).
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #24
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did your credit card bill show a conversion from Euros? I'm pretty sure that I was billed in Pounds directly, and that it was the correct amount (including shipping, of course).
The statement showed a GBP amount in the correct column , but with a Euro amount by the side - but no indication there was any conversion .
I'll have to be patient and await the reply . Thanks Harry .
Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #25
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
11 Mar BOOKEN-ONLINE 75PARIS 13 FR 283.52

My transaction was charged in GBP

27 Feb GNI*GIGANEWS 512-225-5016 TX 29.99 USD @ 1.9249 15.58

That's an example of a transaction in foreign currency, my bank always states the actual amount and the exchange rate.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #26
Boeboe
Boeboe began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Now, if the cybook were produced in the US, the whole VAT story would make a BIT of sense, but my bet is that it is produced in either Europe or Asia.

Quote:
VAT is 19.6% in France, so with a 1€=1.20$ rate this price would be fair,
That's why I put BIT in capitals: the current exchange rate is about 1,55 dollar for 1 euro. How the hell do you justify a 1 euro = 1 dollar practice with those rates?!

The least they could do is make up with it by giving decent after-sale service (still waiting for my new bookeen )
Boeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've noticed in the UK a lot of companies that do business in the US and UK charge the same. So if an item in the US is say $10 in the UK it would be £10.

We found that buying something at ToysRUs in the US and shipping the item to the UK was cheaper then buying it online in the
UK.

What really bothers me about the Cybook is the pricing. I don't think it is fair at all. In the US for the deluxe package we pay $450 not including shipping. If you translate that into UK pounds, it's about £226. So it might actually end up cheaper for someone in the UK to get someone in the US to purchase it and send it over. Bookeen has prices all over the place due to them not bothering to deal fairly with the exchange rate.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What really bothers me about the Cybook is the pricing. I don't think it is fair at all.
Companies aren't in business to be "fair"; they are in business to make money and, as such, set their prices to suit the local market.

They are free to set whatever price they wish in any given country. We, as customers, have the free choice about whether to buy from them or not. If you don't think the price is reasonable, don't buy the product.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #29
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Europeans are ripped off ?

Its really funny with the Pricing of the Cybook.

I live in Europe (home of Bookeen company), but it seems like I can save a lot of money if I buy the device overseas at NAEB.

In Europe I would pay 350 Euro + shipping ( 15 Euro )
and get only the reader
A Cover will cost an extra 40 Euro

At NAEB I would pay 375 Dollar ( = 243 Euro ) + oversea shipping ( could be 40 Dollar = 26 Euro )
and I get the reader
+ Cover
+ SD Card
+ charger
+ phones

Even with VAD/tax/toll added it shouldn't be more than about 330 Euros in total.

Compare this to the Bookeen Price of 405 Euros including the extra cover but still missing SD, Charger and phones

Has anyone living in Europe bought the reader from NAEB ?
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

On the other hand, order from Bookeen and you'll get it (hopefully) in a week or so. NAEB's order times have been somewhat lengthy; hopefully things will "smooth out", but their ordering process could not be described as "trouble free" up to now.