Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
stylus tip not straight

Hi All,
I havent' been using the stylus that much, but in scribble I thought the position did matter, as sometimes it would not right. Today though I noticed that the tip of the stylus is not straight, and bends slightly to one side: is this normal? I should add that I have always exercised basically zero pressure on the tip (well, for the less than four weeks that I've had the device), so it couldn't be that I have bent it somehow.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I don't think that the tip is physically connected to the stylus and it has some wiggle room.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I don't think that the tip is physically connected to the stylus and it has some wiggle room.
you mean that the white "stick" coming out can be extracted and replaced? I suspect so, as at least for wacom pens I discovere that the tip/nib can be replaced. Nevertheless, I am not talking about the tip having room to move, but about it being actually bent at an angle: is your straight?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
paola
Wizard

I am attaching a picture in the hope this is clearer than my description (though the macro function on my machine is not too good): hopefully you can see the nip is bent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nib.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	66015  
Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine is the same way. But I don't think that it is bent. It has enough room to be moved to different angles in respect to the axis of the stylus.
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Mine is the same way. But I don't think that it is bent. It has enough room to be moved to different angles in respect to the axis of the stylus.
Hi Sil_liS, I am afraid the picture does not do justice, as the tip reflects the light and comes across thicker than it actually is, somewhat reducing the bend visually (it looks more bent "live"). What I am trying to say is that the tip comes out at an angle with respect to the grey part of the stylus, and in fact it will only write (and tap) if I keep it in a specific position. Does yours write in any position?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Sil_liS
Wizard

The stylus-screen interaction doesn't seem to work all the time, but I haven't checked if this has anything to do with the position of the stylus.

What I was trying to say was that the stylus tip can be at an angle in respect to the rest of the stylus, without it being actually bent. The reason for this being that the hole is slightly bigger than the tip, and it gives it room to move. You can check this by using your fingernail or maybe a pair of tweezers. The tip can be moved around.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
paola
Wizard

Quote:
The stylus-screen interaction doesn't seem to work all the time, but I haven't checked if this has anything to do with the position of the stylus.

What I was trying to say was that the stylus tip can be at an angle in respect to the rest of the stylus, without it being actually bent. The reason for this being that the hole is slightly bigger than the tip, and it gives it room to move. You can check this by using your fingernail or maybe a pair of tweezers. The tip can be moved around.
Hi Sil_liS, I understand you now: but the thing is, no matter how I fiddle around with my fingernail, the tip stays bent: it does not come out straight, it has a bend at the point where it comes out of the "body", as if somebody had pushed it hard (that is, if I could pull the tip out, I imagine I would see something looking like a hockey stick - ok, less dramatic an angle, but just to give the idea). No rush, but if next time you play around with the stylus you can notice any relationship between angle/effectiveness, that would be great!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
No rush, but if next time you play around with the stylus you can notice any relationship between angle/effectiveness, that would be great!
The angle doesn't matter. In fact I think that I know why I had problems with the calibration.

The digitizer reacts to something that is in the stylus when the distance is short enough. By pressing the tip you simply shorten the distance and that gives the signal. You can check this by keeping the stylus at such an angle that the white tip doesn't actually touch the screen, so nothing is pushed. If I keep the stylus parallel to the screen, I can actually get a signal from somewhere half a centimeter from the indentation in the stylus.

So the problem that I had with the calibration was that when I was calibrating I was keeping the stylus perpendicular to the screen, and then when I was using it the normal way, it was at an angle, so the source of the signal wasn't on top of the tip anymore, but to the side.

So back to the original problem, if the tip can't be pushed, the distance isn't short enough to give a signal. If your tip is at an angle continuously, then there might be only one position where the distance is short enough to get a signal.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
paola
Wizard

Quote:
The angle doesn't matter. In fact I think that I know why I had problems with the calibration.

The digitizer reacts to something that is in the stylus when the distance is short enough. By pressing the tip you simply shorten the distance and that gives the signal. You can check this by keeping the stylus at such an angle that the white tip doesn't actually touch the screen, so nothing is pushed. If I keep the stylus parallel to the screen, I can actually get a signal from somewhere half a centimeter from the indentation in the stylus.

So the problem that I had with the calibration was that when I was calibrating I was keeping the stylus perpendicular to the screen, and then when I was using it the normal way, it was at an angle, so the source of the signal wasn't on top of the tip anymore, but to the side.

So back to the original problem, if the tip can't be pushed, the distance isn't short enough to give a signal. If your tip is at an angle continuously, then there might be only one position where the distance is short enough to get a signal.
Sil_liS, many thanks, I'll try re-calibrating without the angle then.