Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
dadude
dadude began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3 (wifi)
Kindle 3 Wifi Problems

Okay folks, I have one hell of a predicament on my hands. I recently received my K3, I love it, when it works. Yesterday, the device started to restart all on its own at random times. I tried upgrading to 3.0.3 after doing that the thing continuously reboots itself over and over again, I left it on the charger all night and it continues to do the same thing today. I do not have the case w/o light w/ this kindle.
dadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Need more information. Does it 'restart' when you're using it? or when it's left alone? are you turning it off or letting it go into sleep mode? What do you mean by 'reset'? If you are seeing the 'screensaver' images, that's normal after several minutes. When you restart it, does it return to where you were (auto-bookmarked to last page) or does it return to the Home menu or first page, or ... ?
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
Need more information. Does it 'restart' when you're using it? or when it's left alone? are you turning it off or letting it go into sleep mode? What do you mean by 'reset'? If you are seeing the 'screensaver' images, that's normal after several minutes. When you restart it, does it return to where you were (auto-bookmarked to last page) or does it return to the Home menu or first page, or ... ?
Yes; did you load a lot of books in one go? If you're more specific, we can help you perhaps.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The question one should always ask in these circumstances is "what did I do just before it started misbehaving".

I would suspect a particular book is causing it to crash while being indexed. Try deleting all the recently-added content from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The question one should always ask in these circumstances is "what did I do just before it started misbehaving".

I would suspect a particular book is causing it to crash while being indexed. Try deleting all the recently-added content from it.
Harry,
To me it also sounds like a case of bad indexing.
But if it keeps rebooting, he should try to reset it first, than get the books off it with Calibre and than add the books in small batches and monitor indexing, what do you think?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
And I would also like to ask the if you're using the official Amazon cover? Since it (as several threads here can prove) has caused problems for several users (myself included).
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
And I would also like to ask the if you're using the official Amazon cover? Since it (as several threads here can prove) has caused problems for several users (myself included).
The original poster specifically stated that he was not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadude View Post
Okay folks, I have one hell of a predicament on my hands. I recently received my K3, I love it, when it works. Yesterday, the device started to restart all on its own at random times. I tried upgrading to 3.0.3 after doing that the thing continuously reboots itself over and over again, I left it on the charger all night and it continues to do the same thing today. I do not have the case w/o light w/ this kindle.
If you can get to the settings page try a "Restore to Factory Defaults" (home > menu > settings > menu > restore to factory defaults). This will wipe your Kindle so it will be like a brand new Kindle which you will have to re-register to your Amazon account (be sure to copy your "documents" folder to a computer so that you don't have to re-download your books).

If you can't get to the settings page, try this based on a suggestion by NiLuJe:

Perform a hard reset by sliding and holding the power button for 15 seconds and hold the [HOME] button while it boots until a screen asking you to type RESET appears. Again this will wipe your Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #9
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The original poster specifically stated that he was not.
Wow. How could I have missed that?...
Must have blacked out during the last sentence... My bad.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
dadude
dadude began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3 (wifi)
Hello Folks,
I continued to deal with this crazy issue for some time without resolution. I contacted amazon for about the 4th time and explained to them the situation and everything I had did and they agreed that i needed a replacement. I don't think it was a case of bad indexing as I removed all content from the device. Before this started happening I updated the unit to 3.0.3 My experience with customer service was amazing, they had a new kindle to me the next day.
dadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Hello Folks,
I continued to deal with this crazy issue for some time without resolution. I contacted amazon for about the 4th time and explained to them the situation and everything I had did and they agreed that i needed a replacement. I don't think it was a case of bad indexing as I removed all content from the device. Before this started happening I updated the unit to 3.0.3 My experience with customer service was amazing, they had a new kindle to me the next day.
excellent! and welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
....My experience with customer service was amazing, they had a new kindle to me the next day.
I assume this one works?
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote