Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
Aboyaman
Enthusiast
Aboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Repair Needed

Need a solution for this Kindle.The problem is that the Kindle self-ejects from my computer after it has been plugged in for a few seconds, so I can't type DO_FACTORY_RESTORE into its root directory. Do you perhaps know how to keep it from ejecting?

Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	141886  
Aboyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:26 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No -
but automate the typing with a scripted tight loop.
Since you failed to mention what PC/OS your using, you'll have to invent your own script.

PS: You might update your little info box -
According to the serial number shown, that is a PW-2 not the PW-1 mentioned in your member's info box.

Last edited by knc1; 09-11-2015 at 01:29 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #3
Aboyaman
Enthusiast
Aboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enoughAboyaman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No -
but automate the typing with a scripted tight loop.
Since you failed to mention what PC/OS your using, you'll have to invent your own script.

PS: You might update your little info box -
According to the serial number shown, that is a PW-2 not the PW-1 mentioned in your member's info box.
Thanks for your help. It is my friends kindle.
I will ask him about the Os he is using.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboyaman View Post
Thanks for your help. It is my friends kindle.
I will ask him about the Os he is using.
Sorry about the tone of my first reply.

But this is a technical forum and we often need technical details to answer a technical question.

Why not have your friend sign-up here and work with us directly rather than second-hand?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:54 AM   #5
Aboyaman
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Sorry about the tone of my first reply.

But this is a technical forum and we often need technical details to answer a technical question.

Why not have your friend sign-up here and work with us directly rather than second-hand?
I am using Mac OS 10.9.5
Would you tell me how to do the script?
I will invite my friend to sign in here.
Thanks
Advert
Old 09-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I am using Mac OS 10.9.5
Would you tell me how to do the script?
I will invite my friend to sign in here.
Thanks
I don't use Mac but we have Mac users who probably can.

There is a Linux example posted here, somewhere - - but the rough outline is:

Do
touch <whatever>/DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
Until file is found or USB connection is lost.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Aboyaman
Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't use Mac but we have Mac users who probably can.

There is a Linux example posted here, somewhere - - but the rough outline is:

Do
touch <whatever>/DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
Until file is found or USB connection is lost.
How can I try this line or where can I put this line?
Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
How can I try this line or where can I put this line?
Those are the Mac specifics which I do not know.
You will just have to wait for a Mac-User to answer.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@Aboyaman:

Send the attached file to your friend and tell him to try the following:

1. Connect the PW to the Mac.
2. Unpack the shell script (script.sh) to the Mac Desktop.
3. Open a Terminal and enter the following commands:

Code:
cd Desktop
sh script.sh
FYI: script.sh contains the following code that assumes that Kindles are still mounted as /Volumes/Kindle:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
while true
do
    touch /Volumes/Kindle/DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
done
With any luck it should write the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file to the Kindle partition.
Attached Files
File Type: zip script.sh.zip (191 Bytes, 153 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

@Doitsu: Thanks.

@Aboyaman:

And tell your friend they may have to do that in the reverse order:
start the script and then attach the kindle.

Once the trigger name gets written,
Disconnect the Kindle and restart it by holding the power switch for 20 seconds or more.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #11
Aboyaman
Enthusiast

Thanks you two very much I have sent him the instructions