Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #24316
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Well..... that as three hours ago?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #24317
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Home again, home again, jiggidy jig.

They checked over all my paper-work and accepted my application package, collected their $310.00 (even gave me a receipt!) and told me to come back tomorrow afternoon. Being a good little boy, baring any unforeseen documents that need further stamping, we should have visa in hand on the morrow!

Big mug of unbranded Keemun tea to celebrate getting this far!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #24318
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yes beautiful floors! I am struggling with a seller that is convinced that she wants to put pergo on top of her hardwood floors!

made a take the top of your head offf curry last night, going to try to temper it with potatoes tonight

had lapsang souchong in my cup, now market spice tea from Pike Place Market and a glass of sparkling water
You really need to be able to fire some sellers.

For curry that is too hot, try mixing in a container of yoghurt, especially gmail Greek kind. The dairy is the best way to tame the heat, and the yoghurt makes it more like a korma.

Diet Coke in my cup.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #24319
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I did end up putting yogurt on it last night, tonight decided to go with a salad and will deal with the curry tomorrow
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #24320
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

They checked over all my paper-work and accepted my application package, collected their $310.00 (even gave me a receipt!) and told me to come back tomorrow afternoon. Being a good little boy, baring any unforeseen documents that need further stamping, we should have visa in hand on the morrow!

Stitchawl
Well done, and complements on your patience and perseverance.

I envy you that Keemun right now. I'm being careful with the Keemun I have left. It's that Keemun Xian Zhen, and it's lovely, but pricy. And I don't currently have a "daily" Keemun.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #24321
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well done, and complements on your patience and perseverance.
If you never give up, you can't loose. And when something is important to me, I never give up.
Nothing worse, absolutely worse, in Thai culture than to become 'jai rawn,' (very hot heart) so I'm getting in practice. As soon as you loose your temper in an affair with a Thai, you have lost everything, especially 'face.' And it can never be regained. (Oddly, 'Face' seems to be more important in Thai culture than in any others I've lived in, despite hearing about it more in Japanese and Chinese lifestyles.) I need to keep 'jai yen mak' a very cool heart during all of this. Frankly, it almost beat me. Especially on Monday at the hospital, when they insisted on using their forms rather than the ones the Embassy gave me. But that's Japan. You do it the Japanese way. Period. So we did it the Japanese way, but I had them ALSO fill out the Thai Embassy forms.

Quote:
I envy you that Keemun right now. I'm being careful with the Keemun I have left. It's that Keemun Xian Zhen, and it's lovely, but pricy. And I don't currently have a "daily" Keemun.
Not to rub it in, but I'm drinking another mug of it right now.
When it comes to 'pleasure,' I was never one to ration it out. Just can't do it. I know that the unbranded Keemun I have now can never be replaced, but I just can't put it away for a 'special day.' I don't do 'delayed gratification' well.

Stitchawl
Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #24322
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I hope you are not disappointed tomorrow, but I do wonder whether they will be spending the night dreaming up some new form that they 'forgot' to get you to fill in!

Coke Zero #1 in my cup.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #24323
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Well 'chok di' for tomorrow Stitchawl. May you keep a very cool heart. You've got me wondering if I need a Visa for our trip to Wales this weekend . Taking my f-i-l away for a treat as he officially becomes a Pensioner next week.

Rooibos in my cup.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #24324
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Those are indeed lovely floors.

Nothing in my cup at the moment. I'm currently waiting to be given a start date for my new job, although I have yet to hear about the security clearance.

Still, it's not anywhere near the kind of bureaucracy Stichawl is having to cope with.
Have I congratulated you on the new job yet? I don't remember ... Anyway: CONGRATS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Coffee in my cup -- after my first night in the new house! I brought the bird over yesterday, so I had a little company last night. (And yes, I admit I hauled his cage into the bedroom with me last night, lol.) I boarded the dog during the weekend, so I'll pick him up today and bring him here for the first time. I've still got contractors working here for the next few days, so it's not ideal, but I can put him back in the bedroom when I'm not here I guess. It's a mess in here right now but I'm pretty pleased with how the floors and the painting turned out.

Here's the view from my chair right now. Yes, there are random pieces of furniture sitting around, but I am so happy I opted to have the old carpet pulled up and the floors refinished. 45 year old oak floors, and they are just lovely. There are a few dark spots from water probably, but I choose to believe it just adds character.
Those floors are gorgeous! I wish we could afford floors like that ... Really really beautiful!

Quote:

Stitchawl
Congrats Stitchawl!

I had a crazy crazy day yesterday. Two students knocked on our door, and we still didn't know whether we could start with my project or not ... Almost everyone who is allowed to make decisions is on holiday. So we just took matters into our own hands. My project had officially started!!
We still had lots of things to do and decide, and I also had to train the students. Very hectic and a very long day. I've just set them to work on the definitive sample, so it should calm down a bit.

Time for a coffee and a well deserved break!

(big boss is on sick leave, so my boss still doesn't know whether she can stay or not ...)
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #24325
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I hope you are not disappointed tomorrow, but I do wonder whether they will be spending the night dreaming up some new form that they 'forgot' to get you to fill in!

Coke Zero #1 in my cup.
I'm sure that we will get the visas tomorrow. Of course, I'm quite sure that yesterday will get better too. I maintain as much optimism as possible.

What they 'could have done' was say that I didn't present them properly. The Thai Consulate in Perth, Australia require that you make three separate bundles of all the required documents together, while the Thai Consulate in Osaka requires you to make individual bundles of the Original Document + two copies of EACH document. Today I handed in 8 separate bundles plus two individual sealed documents. But as they accepted them, and told me to come back to pick up the visas, I'm sure that part is finished. Of course, even though these are One-year visas, they have to be renewed in Thailand every 90 days...

But now we are starting on the forms for Felicity... and so far, we have found three conflicting sets of instructions and documents, depending upon which Embassy or Consulate we follow. That was one of the same problems I faced with our visa documents; one Consulate said we needed 'this' form, while another Consulate said we needed to use 'that' form, etc., etc. And all of it has to channel through the Embassy for 'our' type of visa (Thailand offers a half dozen different types, each with different requirements) which has its own version of which forms to use... Even within the same Consulate, the 'requirements' and 'results' differ. I only made the application this early (we won't move until the beginning of June) because the Osaka Consulate told us that it would take 4-6 weeks for the Visa type we applied for to process. This morning they told me I could pick it up tomorrow... I'm also going to get the Animal Importation documents that they have at this Consulate... and pray a lot.

Stitchawl
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #24326
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
Have I congratulated you on the new job yet? I don't remember ... Anyway: CONGRATS!!
Thank you! I have my security interview next Wednesday afternoon, at home. I need to have passport, driving licence, birth certificate, family tree back two generations including siblings, last three months of all bank account and CC statements, and all savings info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
My project had officially started!!
We still had lots of things to do and decide, and I also had to train the students. Very hectic and a very long day. I've just set them to work on the definitive sample, so it should calm down a bit.

Time for a coffee and a well deserved break!
And congratulations to you, too. I'm sure it's the right decision. It looks a lot worse (for bosses) to cancel a project that's up and running than to stop it before it starts.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #24327
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Thank you! I have my security interview next Wednesday afternoon, at home. I need to have passport, driving licence, birth certificate, family tree back two generations including siblings, last three months of all bank account and CC statements, and all savings info!

Wow. Is this a job with the Foreign Office or something? Although, if it is, you probably can't say . Can't believe you need to go back two generations. For our company you just need a basic police check, or a CRB.

Now time for a coffee.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #24328
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Wow. Is this a job with the Foreign Office or something? Although, if it is, you probably can't say . Can't believe you need to go back two generations. For our company you just need a basic police check, or a CRB.

Now time for a coffee.
He can tell you, but then he has to kill you.

6pm and I'm still drinking unbranded Keemun tea. I'm probably going to spend half the night standing in front of the throne.
But it's worth it.

Stitchawl
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #24329
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Wow. Is this a job with the Foreign Office or something?
BT. I think they take telecommunications security and privacy seriously, especially for programming staff.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #24330
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
BT. I think they take telecommunications security and privacy seriously, especially for programming staff.
What is BT?

Stitchawl

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?