Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Captain Marvel
Captain Marvel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Color Nook USB Connector Problems

Has anyone run into this? I received a color nook for a birthday present a few months ago. The USB cable was loose when plugged into the connector and was intermittant. B&N Customer Service authorized me to send it in for repair or replacement. They returned it but now the cable is very difficult to get in to the connector. I really have to force it. I'm afraid that it will fail soon, probably after the warranty expires.

So I contacted B&N support again. This time they asked for information about the credit card that was used to purchase the Nook. Since it was a gift, I don't have that information. They refused to do anything about my problem because I couldn't give them the information they demanded even though they previously authorized a repair or replacement.

So, I'm stuck. What do I do? I can't get the number of the credit card because the person who gave me the Nook is no longer living. Help!
Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Contact support again, and if they demand it again, ask to talk to a supervisor. I dunno, I find it suspicious that they're needing credit card number.

Also, shouldn't this be in another forum, one more nook specific?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
I had to replace my USB connector on my Nook Color within a couple of months. Unfortunately I am in Australia and there was never a chance of any warranty fix so I just bought a new one when I bought the ST and covers etc. It was glitchy from the get go that connector.

Kym
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Captain Marvel

I Did Speak To A Supervisor

When I didn't get anywhere with the CSR, I asked to speak to his supervisor. At least he said he was a supervisor. He told me the same thing, they would not do anything unless I could provide the last 4 numbers of the credit card used to purchase the Nook.

I just got done filing a consumer complaint with the Attorney General of New Jersey (B&N is a New Jersey Corporation). I'm waiting to hear what they will do.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
allinhi/
Connoisseur
allinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook color
What if you paid cash? As long as you registered it promptly after receipt it shouldn't matter. Are they hinting that you inherited it? I had to replace my cable as well. I feel that the cable needs to be articulated so that it is not strained when charging. There is a lot of online chatter about this issue.
allinhi/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Magnus
Enthusiast
Magnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
When I didn't get anywhere with the CSR, I asked to speak to his supervisor. At least he said he was a supervisor. He told me the same thing, they would not do anything unless I could provide the last 4 numbers of the credit card used to purchase the Nook.
I think what they really are asking is for the last 4 numbers associated with the credit card you have on your B&N account... the one that is used to create your DRM. Try that and see if it doesn't get you in the door.

BTW the stock USB connectors are flawed and fractures easily. Most stores will replace them for you at no cost. FWIW, you can use a std micro-USB in a pinch, but the charge time will be greatly increased.

To connect to the NC, I've found that a slight upward tilt of the Nook USB connector makes insertion much easier.

Last edited by Magnus; 09-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Captain Marvel

I filed a complaint with the New Jersey Attorney General and e-mailed a copy to B&N. B&N called me the very next next day and overnighted a new color nook. It has a connector that fits properly. Too bad B&N wouldn't do anything until the AG got on their case.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I went on chat last week and the CS agent looked at my account and mailed me a new USB and Adapter within 3 days. Try that maybe?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
pamulla
pamulla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Mine broke while I was on a 2 week vacation in Europe so I had no way to recharge my NC. When i went to the local B&N for a replacement, the option was to file a complaint online or buy a new charger. I bought one becuase I had already been several weeks without my books. This new one is wobbly too. Piss poor design if you ask me. Never have had a similar problem with my IPOD.
pamulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
Captain Marvel

My new Color Nook is working OK. The connector problem I had with the first one is not a problem with the new one.

Last edited by Captain Marvel; 09-16-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
I think the loose connector problem can happen if the female usb connector housing gets bent when plugging the cable in or if it is flexed up or down when the cable is plugged in. This also may be stressing the male mini-usb connector on the charger cable causing it to fail. I've started being careful plugging it in and having it on a flat surface when using the cable.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
I think the cable is just poorly designed and poorly placed. They are surprisingly difficult to put in and I would much prefer they were placed at the bottom on a side. I would also have liked the cable to be a spiral type and more flexible and it should plug in with ease, not have to put on my glasses and fiddle around.
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
To connect to the NC, I've found that a slight upward tilt of the Nook USB connector makes insertion much easier.
That was a great tip that I was lucky enough to read when I first got mine last year! Otherwise, a person could go crazy trying to winkle that thing in!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
francesca
francesca began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
i can not connect my nookcolor i dont have wifi how do i get connected
francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
mohawk
Enthusiast
mohawk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet, Tried the Fire, Currently, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by francesca View Post
i can not connect my nookcolor i dont have wifi how do i get connected
Try registering through BN on Nook to PC. I have a Nook Tablet and I registered on Nook to PC and all the content on my PC from BN is on my Nook.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote