Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Weird LOTR Kindle Email

I picked up the Kindle edition of the LOTR trilogy awhile back (2009?). Out of the blue, I received a weird email today that purports to be from Amazon. It says that an updated version of the ebook is available, with corrections for typos and "missing content," and that I should email a reply to amazonkindle-feedback@amazon.com to receive the new version (which will also wipe out any marks and notes).

Did anyone else receive this email? It seems highly unlikely to be real, though I'm not sure how anyone else would associate my email with that purchase.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well, it's not unusual for them to send out an email if a book has been fixed by the publisher (they won't change your edition without your permission), I've gotten quite a few of them. Just replying "yes" to the email is all it takes.

Here's a direct quote of how the emails usually read...
Quote:
Hello,

We're writing about your past Kindle purchase of Cruel Intent by J.A. Jance. The version you received had formatting issues that have been corrected.

An updated version of Cruel Intent (ASIN:B0017SYOHY) is now available. It's important to note that when we send you the updated version, you will no longer be able to view any highlights, bookmarks, and notes made in your current version and your furthest reading location will be lost.

If you wish to receive the updated version, please reply to this email with the word "Yes" in the first line of your response. Within 2 hours of receiving the e-mail any device that has the title currently downloaded will be updated automatically if the wireless is on.

You can find more information about Kindle related topics here:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your business with Amazon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I haven't received it for that book (because I don't own it) but I've received it for several other books.

I think they started the email after their pledge to never delete a title from your device unless you agree. As they said, if they just removed your current copy and set out the corrected version - you'd lose all your notes etc. so they want your agreement.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Jeremiah.L.Burns
Jeremiah.L.Burns doesn't litterJeremiah.L.Burns doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
No, but that's a fascinating story (no sarcasm intended).

I'm fully aware of the typographical errors, as I've noticed them in my own copy (assuming that you're talking about the 50th Anniversary Single-Volume Edition).

There's actually a discussion thread about it on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RGR0OVZ...wasThisHelpful

The discussion has been quiet as of late, but I emailed Harper Collins regarding the issue and also managed to track down one of the Tolkien editors at Harper Collins on Twitter. She (the Twitter user) seemed much more interested in offering assistance as she actually agreed to download a copy then-and-there and begin reading.

This news of yours is encouraging, however it's extremely disappointing that it would mean the loss of the notes I've already made in the book since (having gone all the way through the Kindle edition) I've made so many.

Thanks for this. I'll pass on what you've said to the Amazon discussion group.

Last edited by Jeremiah.L.Burns; 05-13-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: url correction
Jeremiah.L.Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This is a legit email - Amazon routinely notifies customers after a publisher has corrected typos, etc. and has produced a better version of the ebook.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I picked up the Kindle edition of the LOTR trilogy awhile back (2009?). Out of the blue, I received a weird email today that purports to be from Amazon. It says that an updated version of the ebook is available, with corrections for typos and "missing content," and that I should email a reply to amazonkindle-feedback@amazon.com to receive the new version (which will also wipe out any marks and notes).
Yes, this is the normal notification that you get sent when a book is revised. What do you perceive as being "suspicious" about it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I received the email as well, and quickly replied in the affirmative.

I've gotten these emails several times in the past from Amazon for revised books.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have received many of these from Amazon. I simply replied Yes and happily moved on.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. This is the first time I've gotten one, it just seems like a clumsy way to handle the updates.

IIRC there's a thread on MR as well about the LOTR errors, so I may compare the updated version to what's going on in there. I didn't notice any errors, though I'm also not the type to put on my wizard hat whilst going online.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks. This is the first time I've gotten one, it just seems like a clumsy way to handle the updates.
The reason for it is that replacing the book wipes any annotations you may have made in it, so Amazon make the replacement optional for that reason.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason for it is that replacing the book wipes any annotations you may have made in it, so Amazon make the replacement optional for that reason.
Yes, but replying to the email with a "yes" seems kind of clumsy and borderline phishy.

If anyone is interested, I did get the updated one (I had no notes to worry about). I suspect a bunch of the issues were fixed, though you may need to pester a fanatic to be sure....
Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This is a legit email - Amazon routinely notifies customers after a publisher has corrected typos, etc. and has produced a better version of the ebook.
I asked a customer service person about this, because I knew some of my books had been updated, but I hadn't had e-mails about them. I was told that they only send e-mails if there are significant changes (the example he gave was that missing pages had been replaced), because they're constantly getting updates, and if they sent out e-mails for all the updates then customers would get swamped.

He also said that if you know a book has been updated, you can contact customer services and ask them to update it. He updated all of mine that had updates while I was on the phone.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I remember the copy of O. Henry's stories that I got through Amazon having errors, I contacted them about it and they promised to let me know when a corrected copy was available if I wanted one. Of course when it is corrected is up to the publisher. I have gotten emails about a new 'corrected' version of a book before too. I think it's good they do provide such. Who wants to buy a book, find numerous errors and then find out they're stuck with the error filled copy?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Refom1
Member Retired
Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.Refom1 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kindle 2, Android tablet
Quote:
Yes, but replying to the email with a "yes" seems kind of clumsy and borderline phishy.
What would you rather they do? Require a notarized statement of approval? The e-mail is completely legit and there is nothing scammy about it. If they just updated without asking people would complain about that too. Amazon just can't win.
Refom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah.L.Burns View Post
This news of yours is encouraging, however it's extremely disappointing that it would mean the loss of the notes I've already made in the book since (having gone all the way through the Kindle edition) I've made so many.

Thanks for this. I'll pass on what you've said to the Amazon discussion group.
I'm wondering... if you locate the .mpb file for that book on your Kindle and saved it on your computer, then let Amazon replace the old version with the new, then replaced the new mpb with the old one you saved (changing filename to match if necessary)...

Would that work? Anyone tried it? Anyone want to? I don't have any native Amazon files on my Kindle to try it out right now. Mine have all been Alf'd.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote