Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The formatting is under control of the reading program so I am not sure I understand the comment about line spaces. If you look at an eReader file on a PC where the screen size is large, what do you need to change? Is it just a preference item on the spacing between paragraphs or something more?

Dale
In this case, it's not a matter of turning off the line spaces. They are part of the format of the book. So when you read on your computer screen, you get a paragraphs as a block (no indent) and then a blank line and then another block paragraph and so on. The reader doesn't have any control over this. They do it because they believe that it's easier to read that way on a small palm type screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #62
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In this case, it's not a matter of turning off the line spaces. They are part of the format of the book. So when you read on your computer screen, you get a paragraphs as a block (no indent) and then a blank line and then another block paragraph and so on. The reader doesn't have any control over this. They do it because they believe that it's easier to read that way on a small palm type screen.
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I happen to like that format myself even on big books. I write manuals for a living and this is the format I always use. It is not just a small screen thing. But this is a display issue not a database issue. The book is tagged with paragraph markers and the reader program can choose to display them anyway they wish. eReader is pretty simple and limited in the book formatting unlike xhtml or epub stuff. I becomes a matter of who is in control of the book formatting, the authour, publisher, or user.

Simple to use ereader programs often remove this kind of control from the user in the idea of simple to use. The whole easy to use paradigm is often flawed by thinking that removing control and options is a good thing.

Since Bookeen is writing the program and using one program to support many formats there is no reason that they would adopt the eReader paradigm. The whole reason for using one eReader program as Bookeen has chosen to do would be to provide a consistent look and feel for all books, no matter what the underlying format. (There is, of course, some limitations based on what is supported in the book database but I think you understand what I am trying to say.)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Maybe eReader's run by idiots...

Derek
Must be the same staff as Mobipocket then.

Mobipocket's prices are ridiculous. Full list price from their site. Also they refuse to allow Sony to use their DRM format on the reader because they also have LRF. Not a smart business move.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #64
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Must be the same staff as Mobipocket then.

Mobipocket's prices are ridiculous. Full list price from their site. Also they refuse to allow Sony to use their DRM format on the reader because they also have LRF. Not a smart business move.
MobiPocket licenses their books to lots of outlets and they don't want to undercut their own clients. It is a tough spot for them so always look other places for better pricing.

MobiPocket may be the reason that Bookeen cannot license another DRM system as well. (I think this is likely based on your comment on Sony) It is only someones conjecture that Palm refused to talk and now everybody seems to jump on the wagon and take it as gospel. This is a forum, many "facts" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #65
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Cybook GEN3 is available for order!!
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #66
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
bookeen.com seems to be unavailable.

Not that I would order on now, but the modalities do interest me.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

$383.32 is what it will cost to get a Cybook Gen3 in the USA. Shipping is EXPENSIVE!
Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 PM   #68
Adam
Enthusiast
Adam began at the beginning.

NAEB ordering?

Derek, Since the ordering has begun from bookeen I think you should really hurry and get some info to us to figure out if we are to buy naeb or bookeens cybook. What I would like to know is what is the Warranty? Is it through bookeen or do you have a separate one. If the Device goes bad how is it going to get fixed in that warranty period. Do I have to ship it to France or where naeb is located? The cost is something I need to know too. What features is it going to have different now or in the future. Is naeb going to have the deluxe model? Sorry to bug you like this but a lot of us are very excited about the cybook and need something not to get the version from bookeen now.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:22 AM   #69
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Quote:
$383.32 is what it will cost to get a Cybook Gen3 in the USA. Shipping is EXPENSIVE!
Hum, think about us in Europe: $383 --> 266 Euros.
If you pay 350 Euros like us for a Cybook, you wouldn't find this too expensive !
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 AM   #70
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
What I would like to know is what is the Warranty? Is it through bookeen or do you have a separate one.
From Bookeen's website:-

"Limited Warranty Coverage

Bookeen standard Product warranty is one (1) year after date of delivery.

If a defect arises and a valid claim is received by Bookeen within the Warranty Period, Bookeen will repair the product at no charge (except shipment costs see below), using new or refurbished replacement parts or replace the product with a comparable product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and with at least functionally equivalent to the original product....
<SNIP>
...The shipment of the defective units to Bookeen office is taken in charge by the customer, the shipment back of the repaired units to the customer is taken in charge by Bookeen."

So, a standard 1-year RTB warranty by the sound of it, shipping to Bookeen at the customers expense...

Quote:
LOL JSW - you could always order one from the UK - equivalent of $524 USD - ouch! Still, the shipping's only $21.39 - but then Britain is closer to France, physically at least
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #71
Adam
Enthusiast
Adam began at the beginning.

Warranty

I know about the Bookeen warranty. Its about the standard for the US. What I want to know is how NAEB llc. will be handling the warranty for devices sold through them. Do I ship to NAEB if defective or Bookeen. It would be quite a bit different shipping cost. Might be faster turn around for repairs or slower. Thats what I need to know about the warranties.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #72
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Great update to the homepage. I like it! It's full of new info. The shop is nicely done too. I am only dissapointed that the promised email announcement didn't arrived. Thank goodness for Mobileread.

The price of shipping changed substantially in the past hours. I will wait with my order for a few weeks so that everything is ok with the shipping arrangements. And I have to extend my Visa limit

I can't wait!
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #73
Robert1325
Enthusiast
Robert1325 began at the beginning.

Device: Paper, Cybook g3
I like the site as well, after ordering I decided to read everything there weas, and came accros the RSS function. That's a big + for me. Now I can just load the independent (newspaper) on the reader and not have a big headache every time I read it.
Robert1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1325 View Post
I like the site as well, after ordering I decided to read everything there weas, and came accros the RSS function. That's a big + for me. Now I can just load the independent (newspaper) on the reader and not have a big headache every time I read it.
The RSS stuff is a feature of the Windows Mobi Desktop Reader. Nothing to do with the CyBook, per se; it works with any device which supports MobiPocket.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #75
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
NAEB has asked if we can serve as a drop point for North American returns, however we have yet to get a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I know about the Bookeen warranty. Its about the standard for the US. What I want to know is how NAEB llc. will be handling the warranty for devices sold through them. Do I ship to NAEB if defective or Bookeen. It would be quite a bit different shipping cost. Might be faster turn around for repairs or slower. Thats what I need to know about the warranties.
penty is offline   Reply With Quote