Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Using Kindle WI-FI could get YOU Arrested!

A man in London was arrested and charged by police (who have nothing better to do nowadays other than arresting people for trivial things) for letting his laptop use a nearby householder's unsecured wi-fi.

It is illegal to use WI-FI without written permission.

So the question is can you set the kindle to us only 3G even in a strong WI-FI signal area as otherwise we could all end up with criminal records and the prisons full of kindle users.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
How silly! If people leave their wifi unsecured then that should be their own problem, not a police matter.

I believe that you cannot choose to use only 3G - the 3G only comes on if there is no wifi available to use.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
warp
Connoisseur
warp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
You should give the origin for that case, that has happened in 2007, for example there: http://www.pcworld.com/article/13632...ling_wifi.html

Anyways, the whole case is stupid. In Germany you can't get charged for using unsecured WiFi. But - and that makes sense - as an owner of an WiFi access point you have the responsibilty for that, means, you have to make it secure.
warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:14 AM   #4
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I was of the opinion that you could change it to just 3G.

I watched a Podcast today and the guy did a comparision of the K2 and K3 in 3G for web surfing. He made of point of showing that he had put the k3 in 3G mode so that the comparision would be fair. He didn't show how he did that though.

The review was by a bloke called Len EDGERLY who has a podcast I found on iTunes called The Kindle Chronicles.

Some of the stuff he does is a bit basic, but still not bad.

Brewjono
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
The issue is that for some reason the UK police have decided that using someone else's wi-fi without permission is "hacking", I can see how that would be true if you broke into their secure wifi, but if it's unsecured then the law is an arse.

It's like suggesting I "hacked" mobileread's forums by reading them without having an account (written permission).

Anyway, you won't fall foul of this because you still need to tell the kindle to use a specific network, it won't just go and casually use any unsecured wifi it can see, only if you tell it to connect to that particular wifi.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wonder how they knew?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #7
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
How silly! If people leave their wifi unsecured then that should be their own problem, not a police matter.

I believe that you cannot choose to use only 3G - the 3G only comes on if there is no wifi available to use.
Dishonestly obtaining electronic communication services is an offense under Section 125 of the U.K. 2003 Communications Act, while unauthorized access to computer material is a summary offense under Section 1 of the 1990 Computer Misuse Act.

You can end up with a criminal record and be sacked from your job.

No laughing matter at all.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #8
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
<snip>, but if it's unsecured then the law is an arse.

<snip>.

Although our American friends tend to exchange their ostensibly (less rude) 'ass'for the proper word 'arse' meaning bum, I think in this case, that the law may be an ass, as in donkey.

So says the ageing pedant!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
Bl**dy h&&L! Why nobody starts rants with the words, using Apple IPAD's WIFI could get You(Yes I mean YOU) arrested? Why don;t you list everyfreaking device that is out there that supports wifi? Why don't you name your post Using Laptop, Netbook, Dekstop, Imac, Ipad, Ipod, Ic*$p, Webradio, Your cellphone could get you arrested. Why is it necessary to single out kindle and refference ancient case from 2007? Huh?

I suggest removing this post altogether, cause this is obviously hater's post.

Last edited by mrzerga; 09-10-2010 at 03:50 AM.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 AM   #10
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Or you know, not try to connect to an unsecured WiFi network that you don't have permission to connect to? It is a fairly simple solution to this "problem".
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Or you know, not try to connect to an unsecured WiFi network that you don't have permission to connect to? It is a fairly simple solution to this "problem".
Absolutely right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #12
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post

Although our American friends tend to exchange their ostensibly (less rude) 'ass'for the proper word 'arse' meaning bum, I think in this case, that the law may be an ass, as in donkey.

So says the ageing pedant!
I hang my head in shame, although to defend the indefensible, the law is probably both an ass and an arse.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 AM   #13
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Disconnect Wifi -> 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
He made of point of showing that he had put the k3 in 3G mode so that the comparision would be fair. He didn't show how he did that though.
If you disconnect from Wifi network(s) it'll go to 3G automagically
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
I hang my head in shame, although to defend the indefensible, the law is probably both an ass and an arse.
Presumably you're not a fan of Dickens? The phrase "the law is an ass" comes from "Oliver Twist", specifically from this:

Quote:
'That is no excuse,' replied Mr. Brownlow. 'You were present on the occasion of the destruction of these trinkets, and indeed are the more guilty of the two, in the eye of the law; for the law supposes that your wife acts under your direction.'
'If the law supposes that,' said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, 'the law is a ass—a idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is, that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience.'
In this particular case, though, I really don't think the law is an ass. Using someone's computer resources without their permission is wrong, regardless of whether or not they have secured them. You don't have the right to go and sit in someone's living room and watch their TV if they go out and leave their house door unlocked. Using their WiFi network is really not much different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
There are places (e.g. airports) that provide free internet access as a service for their clients.
There are organizations that promote opening wifi spots as a community service.

Why shouldn't I enjoy those but pay hundreds of dollars per year to cellular providers for internet access?
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
criminal, hyperbole, overblown, police, prison, wi-fi., wireless