Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Dysonco
Dysonco began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Help with the regular expression

Hi All,

New member of the forum, so hello everyone! I thought I'd kick off with a conundrum that I'm having trouble solving.

I'm a great fan of Calibre, its a great bit of software, I'm just having a little trouble configuring it to correctly identify the information from the filenames in my book collection.

All my books have their filenames in this format:

AuthorLastname, AuthorFirstnames - BookSeries SeriesNumber - BookTitle.FileExtension

I've tweaked the regular expression (mostly by trial and error as I'm most definately not a programmer) to this:

(?P<author>[^_]+) - (?P<series>[^_]+) - (?P<title>[^_]+)

Now this works fine on the filename example as above, but unfortunately fails when the BookSeries and SeriesNumber parts are missing (when its a single book and not a part of a series).

So for example:

Pratchett, Terry - Discworld 01 - The Colour Of Magic.pdf

Would work okay, but:

Pratchett, Terry - Strata.pdf

Wouldn't. I almost need a way to set the expression to realise that if theres only two groups to recognise that it is Author and Title and ignore the series bit.

Any suggestions from the gurus?

Many thanks,

Mike
Dysonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysonco View Post
AuthorLastname, AuthorFirstnames - BookSeries SeriesNumber - BookTitle.FileExtension

I've tweaked the regular expression (mostly by trial and error as I'm most definately not a programmer) to this:

(?P<author>[^_]+) - (?P<series>[^_]+) - (?P<title>[^_]+)

Now this works fine on the filename example as above, but unfortunately fails when the BookSeries and SeriesNumber parts are missing (when its a single book and not a part of a series).

So for example:

Pratchett, Terry - Discworld 01 - The Colour Of Magic.pdf

Would work okay, but:

Pratchett, Terry - Strata.pdf

Wouldn't.
This is what I'm using now:
Code:
^((?P<author>([^\-_0-9]+)(?=\s*-\s*)(?!\s*-\s*[0-9.]+)|\b))(\s*-\s*)?((?P<series>[^0-9\-]+) (- )?(?P<series_index>[0-9.]+)\s*-\s*)?(?P<title>.+)
It will parse your two examples and many others. Yours doesn't get the series_index. There are several regex threads here if you want more options.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Dysonco
Dysonco began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Hi Starson17,

Wow that works great!

Many thanks,

Mike
Dysonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Ozzy
Ozzy began at the beginning.

Device: PC
@ Starson17 -- That's a great expression, exactly what I was looking for. Thnx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Code:
^((?P<author>([^\-_0-9]+)(?=\s*-\s*)(?!\s*-\s*[0-9.]+)|\b))(\s*-\s*)?((?P<series>[^0-9\-]+) (- )?(?P<series_index>[0-9.]+)\s*-\s*)?(?P<title>.+)
It will parse your two examples and many others. Yours doesn't get the series_index. There are several regex threads here if you want more options.
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
kapaka
kapaka began at the beginning.

Device: BQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Code:
Thank You So Much!!!
I have been trying to figure out regular expression for just this, was about to quit and edit manually
kapaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
qlfwyyd
qlfwyyd began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
This is awesome! Thanks so much.
qlfwyyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
qlfwyyd

Actually - any chance this could be adapted so that it would still work if the series index is not included? At present, if there is no index, the series name is added to the title.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfwyyd View Post
Actually - any chance this could be adapted so that it would still work if the series index is not included? At present, if there is no index, the series name is added to the title.
Yes, but that breaks other things. The numbers of the series_index are used to help identify the series name.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
qlfwyyd

Ah well, it's pretty damn good anyway. I'll just have to add in the series numbers by hand first. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlfwyyd View Post
Ah well, it's pretty damn good anyway. I'll just have to add in the series numbers by hand first. Thanks again!
Or you can change the regex when you have books to add that don't have the series number, but have some other way to identify the series. If the series name is always in brackets, or always is after the first space-hyphen-space, then you can find it that way. I haven't found any single regex that will do all the different file naming schemes I've seen.