Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
S/V Willow
S/V Willow doesn't litterS/V Willow doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V5 on order!
What is the best ebook resource for those of us in Oz/NZ?

We are limited in choice here but once we do finally lay our hands on an ereader - which 'site' do Ozzies and Kiwis recommend for buying ebooks online? Has anyone had problems with online credit card use? What works and what doesn't? Just thought someone out there may know before I commit myself (to a life with an ereader). Willow
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hello S/V Willow

I'm in Oz myself and a have a brand new Sony reader. I can easily download from the Sony site (nice freebies and paying). There is also a great thread which lists heaps of sites that have books for free: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43794

I have opted against the Kindle purely because I felt it restricts me to the use of Kindle only.

Hope this helps :-)
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Hi Willow!

Central Book Services has promised an Aussie ebookstore up soon - http://www.ecoreader.com.au/get_ebooks.asp

In the meantime, your best hassle-free bets are the DRM-free stores, which don't tend to have geographic restrictions. Of course, they don't usually stock the bestsellers either :/ Check out Smashwords and Feedbooks for some good indie fiction Disclaimer: I have work on both, and I'm biased!
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Hi Willow!

Central Book Services has promised an Aussie ebookstore up soon - http://www.ecoreader.com.au/get_ebooks.asp

In the meantime, your best hassle-free bets are the DRM-free stores, which don't tend to have geographic restrictions. Of course, they don't usually stock the bestsellers either :/ Check out Smashwords and Feedbooks for some good indie fiction Disclaimer: I have work on both, and I'm biased!
I have been hoping for a decent local ebookstore for quite awhile and Central Book Services looks to be the shining light but I can't shake the feeling that in a couple of weeks the status will change to "Launching in December 2009" like it has done for the last few months.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
eco
eco began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 1945
I'm in New Zealand and use a Kindle DX. I have my credit card registered to a US address and use a VPN to make it clear I am in a US buyer. I transfer books to the kindle from my PC. A bit of a hassle to set up but the only realistic way to get a range of books and a decent price.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Webscriptions I would always recommend.

Cyberread worked last time I tried it.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco View Post
I'm in New Zealand and use a Kindle DX. I have my credit card registered to a US address and use a VPN to make it clear I am in a US buyer. I transfer books to the kindle from my PC. A bit of a hassle to set up but the only realistic way to get a range of books and a decent price.
As a fellow NZer, how exactly do you have your credit card registered to a US address. What's your process?
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Kindle shipped Internationally

Hey Willow

check the Kindle website - the reader is now shipped internationally and I know we can get it in Oz. The Books are more expensive here in Oz than in the US. But might worthwhile checking out anyway for you.

Cheers Katti'sCat
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
All the multiformat fictionwise stuff is available, too, of course, so worth looking at that.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
S/V Willow

Thank you all so much that has given me a good start. I have almost saved enough for my ereader now so I have started downloading free ebooks but I want so much more! Dont we all? :-)
Old 11-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
sherscott
sherscott
sherscott is on a distinguished road

Device: sony reader prs-505
In australia we have a new product called travel cards. These are Visa or MC debit cards rather than credit cards which you load up with either Euros $US $CAD $NZ OR $A
The amazing thing is they do not have a billing address

I loaded a card with $US put in a United states address of my choice, and have now purchased geographically restricted books without hassles 5 seperate times from fi
Fctionwise and Books on Board

I've now purchased in total 153 books from these companies over 2 and a half years at an average cost of US$9.63 once I take all the discounts and special offers into account.
sherscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
sherscott
sherscott
sherscott is on a distinguished road

Device: sony reader prs-505
on DRM

Following from the above post In reply to a question on format of books dowloaded

I currently download all my ebooks as mobipocket

I strip the DRM followng advice and using techniques I have found on these threads

I convert the non DRM files to Microsoft Word as RTF files arial font 12

Then I drop them onto my sony prs505

so every book I read on my Sony is then in the very standard microsoft word RTF which the sony reader handles well

Total time per book is about 5 minutes once downloaded

need ..........python 25.........calibre............sonyconverter
sherscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
S/V Willow

Wow thanks all. Katti cat I didn't realise you could get the Sony Reader in Oz I thought it was only shipped to the US? But I will investigate further as usual. The Kindle really isn't my cup of tea at all as it does restrict your choices and as we will be sailing all over we need the easiest uploads we can get too. Plenty to think about and more research coming up!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
Hi Willow, I live in Melbourne Australia and have had the usual hassles with "geographically restricted" notices when wanting to get certain books. I have had great success with "Diesel Ebook Store. So far, everything that I have wanted, I've been able to get.
I was toying with the idea of changing my address and billing information, but I'm quite happy at the moment with Diesel. It's such a pain isn't it. I hope that this gets sorted out soon. Fancy not being able to spend money at a store, what a crazy situation.
elvee
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvee View Post
Hi Willow, I live in Melbourne Australia and have had the usual hassles with "geographically restricted" notices when wanting to get certain books. I have had great success with "Diesel Ebook Store. So far, everything that I have wanted, I've been able to get.
I was toying with the idea of changing my address and billing information, but I'm quite happy at the moment with Diesel. It's such a pain isn't it. I hope that this gets sorted out soon. Fancy not being able to spend money at a store, what a crazy situation.
elvee
I second the Diesel site. I also recommend the international version of the Pan Macmillian site:

http://bit.ly/3rzsF7

My experience is that there's always a way to get a book you're looking for. Simply asking on this site is usually the fastest way to get an answer as I experienced very recently:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30731

cheers...
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote