Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
k_y
k_y began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
[Kindle Touch] Sorting by authors and series

Hi,

I'm going to talk about something that has been widely discussed before. Don't get mistaken, if I ask it here, it's because despite the research I've done, the answers have never been satifying enough for me.

It's pretty oubvious from the title: I'd like to have a sorting of my books according to their place in the series. I would like the Kindle to show an author sorting and within that author sorting, a series sorting (not some alphabetical sorting or whatever).

I know there's that workaround where you add the serie's name & book number to the book's name, but let's face it: that's not the way it should be done. MOBI files can store metadata such as the series information, that's what the Kindle's OS should use.

Has someone, anyone, devised a way to get this working like I want it to work? If not, I might try to find the time to look closer into writing apps or hacks or whatever would be needed, but I don't want to waste my time if it has already been done.

Thanks for reading, have a nice day,
K.

(By the way, not really sure this post shouldn't have gone to the hacking section. I'll let the mods decide!)

P.-S. — The new Kindle Touch's interface is simply awesome. There's just that sorting that's missing, and my reader would be absolutely perfect for my needs.
k_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
According to http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...e=metadata.htm, there is no metadata entry for series in Mobipocket format. There are only:

eBook Title
Author (Last Name, First Name. Multiple authors are separated by semicolons)
Publisher (not used in the wholesale distribution system, your login identifies you as a publisher)
Imprint (optional)
ISBN
Language
Main Subject
Description
Review
Publishing Date (for reference only)
Cover image (by default, the cover image of the eBook is used; but one can used a different cover image in the eBook and in the wholesale distribution system)
Demo PRC file (optional, demo files can usually be generated automatically by the wholesale distribution system). This has to be an unencrypted Mobipocket PRC file
Suggested retail price and currency (mandatory to deploy to a wholesale distribution system)
Territory restriction
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_y View Post
I know there's that workaround where you add the serie's name & book number to the book's name, but let's face it: that's not the way it should be done. MOBI files can store metadata such as the series information, that's what the Kindle's OS should use.
No it can't. Mobi files specify their metadata via OPF files, which, in turn, are based on the Simple Dublin Core Standard for metadata. If you look at the standard (see the link) you will not find "series" specified as a metadata item. Hence using a Calibre plugboard to append series name and number to the title is a perfectly reasonable approach.

Perhaps a good idea to do a little research before complaining!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
k_y
k_y began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hum, my bad. I thought there was a way mobi files could store the information since when adding some news mobi eBooks to Calibre, the series information appeared (and since I was offline, there is no way Calibre could fetch them without me knowing). How can that be possible? I read that there were undocumented features in mobi's metadata, can't it be that?

Also, please note that I'm not really complaining. I'm merely noticing some unexpected behavior according to what I think I know. Complaining would be, for example, wondering why the Amazon devs didn't implement a flexible way to classify the books without changing its name (which I didn't, and which I won't, their work, as it is, is already terrific).

Last edited by k_y; 01-16-2013 at 04:18 PM.
k_y is offline   Reply With Quote