Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Should I upgrade Kindle DX US?

I have the original Kindle DX, which has 3G in the US. Do you think the better screen on the latest DX is worth my selling the DX US and buying a new or used latest DX?

I'm finding that the new screen is just so much better than the older screen. There definitely is some eye strain without a good light source on the older screens. I wonder whether the cost to upgrade is worth it. I could probably get a used latest DX for like $320 and sell my old one for around $200 or so. Thus, the cost to upgrade might be around $120+ebay fees. What do you think. Is it worth it? I'll definitely upgrade to the next DX if it comes out if I don't now. I might just wait until a new DX comes out, whenever that is.

What are your thought?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
If you can afford to do it and like the screen that much better, then I would go for it.
You may be waiting a long time for the new DX to come out.. well, you know- maybe next year? Who knows?

other than the screen, I don't think there's any difference. (runs the same firmware, etc.)
personally, I think it's a world of difference just with the pearl screen.

looking at my k2 beside my k3/DXG, I wonder how I ever managed to read on it sometimes.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
If you can muster some patience you may be able to do what I did and find a DXG via Craig's List for quite a bit less $. I got mine for $220 with Amazon's leather cover. There are enough people out there who try and decide they don't like or get a gift they don't like that one will turn up sooner or later. Mother's day, father's day, and xmas are all big gifting days after which you may find a deal.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The original KDX was introduced in Jun 2009, and the upgraded version in June 2010. So the next generation might be just months away. There might also be no new version this year (or ever).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The original KDX was introduced in Jun 2009, and the upgraded version in June 2010. So the next generation might be just months away. There might also be no new version this year (or ever).
I think I'll wait until the summer. If they do in fact come out with a new version, then I can get a used Kindle DX graphite for even less than I can now or I can simply upgrade to the latest DX.

Eink is coming out with their color displays so perhaps this will be in the new DX. The new screen is supposed to be essentially the same as the old tech but with a color filter...so I imagine they could ramp up production pretty quickly.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert