Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Vidfamne
Vidfamne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Error received after updating metadata

Hi folks,

I receive the following error:

calibre, version 0.8.53
ERROR: Ohanterat undantag: <b>TypeError</b>:can't compare datetime.datetime to NoneType

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\proceed.py", line 96, in do_ask_question
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 135, in apply_downloaded_metadata
TypeError: can't compare datetime.datetime to NoneType

This comes after performing a metadata update (Ctrl+D) of some 1900 books taking about 9 hours on my system. This is after the fetching is done and after the dialog to continue update metadata after summaryinformation.

The errormessage above is Swedish equivalent of 'Unhandled exeption' or something similair.

Anyone having any idea what this can be? Are all updates then lost completely or just some?

Will I need to wait 9 hours again for next update? Ie, does it check all books in library or only those that are without metadata allready? I mean next time I do the metadata update.

Last edited by Vidfamne; 05-28-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spellchecking
Vidfamne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error will happen if you deleted one of the books you were downloading metadata for. And yes, it means all the metadata is gone. I'll add a check for it in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Vidfamne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That error will happen if you deleted one of the books you were downloading metadata for. And yes, it means all the metadata is gone. I'll add a check for it in the next release.
Ok, thanks for the info!
(Well I didn't delete any books though)

I'll just do it in lesser chunks. 200 books will take me about an hour, so...

Still, I immensly love the program. I learn new features and tweaks every day...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Make sure that you only have metadata download plugins enabled that you *really* want data from, don't just run with all of them or even necessarily all the default ones. Just pick a couple of books, do the download, look at the log with the time taken and decide whether you really want the particular output from that plugin or not. If you use the Amazon plugin, make sure it is set for your most local location. The Overdrive plugin is extremely slow so don't use that if you are in a hurry. There are also other alternatives from the plugins subforum such as Goodreads, Fantastic Fiction & B&N and others.

Many of the plugins will run faster if you have the ISBN for the book populated already. Normally I would point you to the Extract ISBN plugin for that, but if you are using calibre 0.8.53 or 0.8.54 at the moment that plugin is broken, and possibly won't get fixed until calibre 0.8.55 comes out.

Personally from experience I don't use bulk metadata download *especially* if you do not have the ISBN for a book. By doing so you are rolling the dice that the results returned from a website are ordered to exactly match the right book. Too often they are not, it is not the plugins fault when this happens, it is the website's own algorithm for finding a best match for that title, which can go *really* wonky if they don't actually have that book under the same name. And if you have overwrite title and author turned on in your metadata options, you are going to end up with an utter mess in your library of book entries having different books to the title/author in the library.

So I do individual metadata downloads to choose exactly which results I want, and frequently have to run it multiple times to get the matches across all the websites I want linked to. Does it take longer? Sure, but I'm not exactly going to be reading 9000 books in the next few weeks either. And at least I am 100% confident it will not make a mess of my library by pulling metadata for the wrong books and screwing up my library, which means much more to me in the longer term.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
Vidfamne

Really good advice, thanks!