Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
ensyed
Enthusiast
ensyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Is a new Kindle expected anytime soon?

My friend is contemplating buying her first ereader. She wants to know if a new version of kindle 2 is expected by Christmas?

Thx
ensyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Last rumors I saw was that something would be announced in August. Whether it'll happen or not, who knows.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A new Kindle 2, or possibly a Kindle 3, with a graphite case and the new pearl screen, as seen in the new DX Graphite, is generally expected this fall. There's no proof that there's definitely going to be a new Kindle, but it seems pretty likely.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Expected? No.
Rumored? Yes.
There have been reports of a thinner, lighter, WiFi-equipped Kindle code-named Shasta. It is unclear if this would be a 3G+WiFi design or a WiWi-only design.
With the recent intro of a Graphite DX with a next-gen screen and the announcemennt from the screen supplier of a new generation of screens the likelihood of a Kindle refresh became reasonable.
The rumors had the announcement pegged for August.

As with all rumors, take this with a pound of salt.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ummmm ------>
kindle forums?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
and dont forget about all the old Kindle 2-US stock dumped as refurbished models recently...

i would say a high chance... but dont count on it
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
ensyed
Enthusiast
ensyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you. I think my friend is just going to buy the current version.
ensyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
And here's a link, although more info is in this thread. There was a spate of variations of this story at the end of May/beginning of June.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
uclaser
Connoisseur
uclaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am looking to buy my first ereader Should I just buy the K2i now or wait for the K3? Really can't wait to get my hands on an ereader though
uclaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle 3 may be available as early as August, but Amazon has delayed releases before if the device was not exactly right.

The K3 will have the Pearl EInk screen (like the graphite Kindle DX) and faster page turns, and probably other new features. On the other hand there isn't a lot wrong with the K2i as a 6" ebook reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I would imagine August. I don't think it will be a departure from the graphite. Improved screen and page turns...that's about it. However, if I was in the market for one, I would wait until the end of August. I have the graphite DX and have owned the K2. I think it is definitely worth waiting for if I didn't own a Kindle yet.

With that said, I personally hope it is released within my 30 day return period. I love the DX, but it's huge. Now I am lugging around an iPad AND a Kindle DX. With the M-Edge case, the DX is more bulky than the iPad!
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I don't think it's worth waiting. By the time it comes out there will be a KDXP (Pink) on the horizon.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
With the speed of the price drops, I'm thinking Christmas will be the time to strike for a new Kindle. Watch those prices drop to $99 by then.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Am so torn at the moment - Kindle 2 or secondhand PRS-505? I am keen on the Kindle 2, and the possibility of a Kindle 3 on the horizon isn't that much of an issue as I think the Iternational launch will be a further 6 months on....
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Am so torn at the moment - Kindle 2 or secondhand PRS-505? I am keen on the Kindle 2, and the possibility of a Kindle 3 on the horizon isn't that much of an issue as I think the Iternational launch will be a further 6 months on....
The K2 was my first reader. It is very good. The build quality is not as good as the Sony PRS-505, but the screens are the same. The K2 has the added keyboard and more functionality as far as bookmarking, etc. goes. I originally settled on the Sonys because I didn't like being tied down to the Amazon ebook format. But a couple of years later, and hopefully a couple of years wiser, I think the Kindle is the better option. It is fairly easy to strip the DRM off of ePub files and convert them to mobi or PRC so they can be read on a Kindle. So you can read books from more ebook store sources on the Kindle than I could a couple of years ago. The Sony Reader library software is awful and mostly useless except for purchasing ebooks. So I would say that if you are techie enough to strip DRM from epubs and convert them to a Kindle format, then a K2 might be the better option as it will give you a larger selection of books to read. Otherwise, the two devices are very similar as far as the screen goes.