Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
queens_own
queens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to behold

Device: Pixelar mreader
Which format

Hi,
I'm fairly new to this ebook reading and now have a Pixelar S6-5w mreader and I'm a bit confused about all of the formats, I have three books which I loaded via Calibre in the format of Mobi, but I do not understand why there are so many formats or which one is the best one to use, my ereader says I can use something like 11-12 different formats...so why should I use a certain formatand what are their advantages?
Ken
queens_own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In one sense, you should use the format that stuff you want to read is available in.
If you have books in mobi, and your reader can read mobi, use mobi.

But I guess that's sort of obvious.
You want to know what to convert to if you need to convert, or what to format to choose your content in, if you have a choice?

Far and away, for actual 'ebooks' as opposed to other sorts of content, epub and mobi are the most popular formats.

That's why there are sections here for epub, and mobi, and everything else is lumped in 'other formats.'

(PDF is not exactly an ebook format in the same sense. It's a whole different beast with different issues.)

Simplified answer:
Your reader supports epub. Use epub. If you have mobi books and your reader can't read them directly, convert them to epub. epub has a superset of mobi features, so 99.9% of stuff should convert perfectly in that direction.

Think of all the other formats your device supports as "nice to know they are there if you ever need them."

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Anything that resembles a book, in a digital format is an e-book.

PDF and ePub/Mobi both have their advantages. Check out the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com (click where it says "eBook Formats")
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote