Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #46
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsmith View Post
I am amazed at the number of people that get so upset by little things. Is the Kobo perfect? No. But then what is? I honestly can't imagine how some people function in their daily lives if things this small get under their skin. And I sure hope they don't talk to people in person the way they post on this forum. Personally, I think the Kobo is a great reader, and my reading experience is better for it. This is also a great forum and an invaluable resource, i just wish some people would grow up. There, now I feel better. And, no, I have no affiliation with Kobo whatsoever.
Trust me I'm not complaining about the margins just pointing it out. To me it definitely does not make anything unreadable and is therefore a non issue. Overall I'm very happy with my kobo touch and the infrequent double page turns and dead taps never bothered me. I'm even one of the minority who like the carousel at the bottom of the home screen. I keep it set to shortlist so I can quickly get to my next read on my TBR list. Kobo will have my business for a long time and I recommend their readers to my friends when they've been shopping around. I realize this may not have been directed at me but felt I should respond since I did make a comment on the margins.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #47
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
I am pretty sure that Kobo did use google tracking with older firmwares as well.
Yes, I know, which is why I haven't let my Kobo Touch connect to the 'Net since I became aware of it.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #48
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
RareBird, you're right, it was not directed at you.

Windsor, NS? I'm an Acadia Alumnut.
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #49
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm an alum of Acadia too! How about that!
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #50
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boruteczko View Post
No, there's another thing (or it's just me?): the side margins are completely gone.
Try adjusting your margins in the sideloaded e-pubs. If I go from a k-epub with a nice little margin that I like to a sideload e-pub, I have no side margin in the sideload until I change the settting to a slightly larger margin.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #51
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Many thanks!

[I tried to save it from my c:\users\<username>\local settings folder structure, but Windows 7 seems to think I can't be trusted with my own computer and won't let me open the folder. I'm logged in and have Admin rights, what more does it want?! Stubborn sulky Windows, I hate it sometimes.

Ahem. So thanks for the download link!]
Right click on the c:\users\<username>\local settings folder, select properties. Then Select the security tab, and give yourself rights over the directory and all sub directories.

Be careful, as it is possible to screw this up.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #52
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by critic View Post
I seem to have 2 different versions of this firmware already.
The one in my Local Settings/Kobo directory contains
KoboRoot.tgz CRC A5B85D6D Size 59,280,207 Date 16/03/2012 09:18

The one linked here on the forums at http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ate-1.9.17.zip contains
KoboRoot.tgz CRC 2B005F71 Size 59,293,286 Date 16/03/2012 16:44

Both archives extract without errors. Perhaps a last minute correction, or a regional/affiliates thing (im in england).. ???
Both the zip I saved during the download and the zip I just downloaded from the provided link are the same size.

KoboRoot.tgz CRC 2B005F71 Size 59,293,286 Date 16/03/2012 16:44
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #53
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Try adjusting your margins in the sideloaded e-pubs. If I go from a k-epub with a nice little margin that I like to a sideload e-pub, I have no side margin in the sideload until I change the settting to a slightly larger margin.
It does not change anything at all.
Quote:
I am amazed at the number of people that get so upset by little things. Is the Kobo perfect? No. But then what is? I honestly can't imagine how some people function in their daily lives if things this small get under their skin. And I sure hope they don't talk to people in person the way they post on this forum. Personally, I think the Kobo is a great reader, and my reading experience is better for it. This is also a great forum and an invaluable resource, i just wish some people would grow up. There, now I feel better. And, no, I have no affiliation with Kobo whatsoever.
So, how to point out the bugs, in your opinion? I didn't notice any bug tracking tool or a questionnaire... And yes, over 3 months just to fix some bugs (and to add some new) it's disappointing.

Last edited by Boruteczko; 03-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #54
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
Quote:
So, how to point out the bugs in your opinion? I didn't notice any bug tracking tool or a questionnaire... And yes, over 3 months just to fix some bugs (and to add some new) it's disappointing.
I'm not sure many people realize some of the complexities of software development. For example:
- Kobo has several devices, and each device requires both maintenance (support) and new features (development)...not just the Touch
- In order for the software to be manageable, I suspect Kobo tries to keep a single set of source code across all devices where possible. Having to add the same function to each device individually would be cost-prohibitive and would just get passed on to the consumer.
- Most software shops stick to a regular schedule for software releases. Time for requirements gathering (defects + new features); time to design the changes; time to develop the changes; time to test the changes internally; time to beta test the changes with the community. This all takes time. 3 months is very typical.

I've been working in software for 25 years, so I could go on...
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #55
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
I'm not sure many people realize some of the complexities of software development. For example:
- Kobo has several devices, and each device requires both maintenance (support) and new features (development)...not just the Touch
- In order for the software to be manageable, I suspect Kobo tries to keep a single set of source code across all devices where possible. Having to add the same function to each device individually would be cost-prohibitive and would just get passed on to the consumer.
- Most software shops stick to a regular schedule for software releases. Time for requirements gathering (defects + new features); time to design the changes; time to develop the changes; time to test the changes internally; time to beta test the changes with the community. This all takes time. 3 months is very typical.

I sure understand complexity here, but they could spend some more time working on polishing/fixing already existing features instead of adding a new Facebook thingy, don't you think?
PS. I'd be really content with the new firmware but for the margins problems (just try to imagine reading a paper book without any margins.)
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #56
odin500
odin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to behold

3 Months still too long

Quote:

Oh come off it you may not be affiliated with the Kobo company, but you sure sound like you are.
Maybe it's just your round and aboot way of showing your loyalty to a Canadian company( if they are still Canadian)

the 59p goodreader app I bought off the app store has been constantly adding new features and bug fixes and they still manage to have a faster development cycle.

Btw, the firmware so far is a lot faster and smoother; Library, short-list and page turning are all much faster. Hopefully the unit will also be more stable too.
odin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #57
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yes, I know, which is why I haven't let my Kobo Touch connect to the 'Net since I became aware of it.
I have only had a Kobo for a year, gave that first version to my Mom and now I've had my Kobo touch since August. I've only read around here periodically when I'm trying to learn something new about all this. But, my question is, how do I get rid of this? Is this like spyware on your computer? I've never come across this tidbit in my reading here over the past year and I'm not happy about this. How do I stop it?

Oh, and to stay on topic, so far my Kobo Touch is working quite well with this new firmware, and also with the newer Calibre upgrade as well. So far I'm happy.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #58
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Ah, a fellow developer.. I've been working in the field for 20 years myself and it's my experience that the users catch some things that I and the testers missed. I'm pretty sure you have the same experience if you've been doing it as long as you have. The point here is that it may be nitpicking but there are some things that have changed in the newest firmware that we have noticed and have voiced our opinion "It's not as comfortable to read as the previous version". Personally I don't mind that the top margin CAN be touching the top. I would then like the option to SET that top margin larger like I am able with the side margins.

To cover your points:

1) It is true they have several devices that require support and development. It may be just me but you seem to assume that there is only one or two development groups that cover multiple platforms. That may be true, but I would think it would be more likely to have teams that focused on certain 'groups'. E.g. Linux based (all Kobo readers), mobile based (Android/iOS/etc.), and desktop/Web-based (Win/MacOS/HTML5?).

2) I don't think they have a single set of source code, unless it is that part that deals with the Kobo servers. All other code appears at this point to be specific to the device. Can you honestly tell us that you believe that the UI and features across all the OSes and devices Kobo supports is that similar? Even between Kobo's own devices the UI and features are not. As you point out it would be cost-prohibitive but from all appearances, that is exactly what Kobo is doing. It may be more likely they have (similar to my comment above) certain 'groups' of source code.

3) Yes, I understand time is required for all those phases. I just feel that there should be some community input in the first phase to avoid any large complaints about new features later. e.g. the 5 thumbnail listing on the HOME page. As a developer you are ultimately developing for the User, management may have it's ideas and push through most of them but if it ends in a low UX users will eventually move on. If you've read these forums for very long you see that happening quite often. Would it not be to your and management's benefit to know what the target audience wants and not just force it on them? Also as a developer you must experience times when you will not make the deadline due to unforseen delays or problems. Do you delay the product further or do you cut out/postpone features till a future update. Kobo I believe has leaned towards the former but seeing as how long it has been since the previous update, have finally decided on releasing minus some planned features like the 'collections'. Yes, 3 months is typical, but for kobo their track record was a bit more frequent.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #59
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
But, my question is, how do I get rid of this? Is this like spyware on your computer? I've never come across this tidbit in my reading here over the past year and I'm not happy about this. How do I stop it?
That depends upon your definition of spyware. Ultimately, features like Reading Life and Facebook integration are about collecting marketing data. Some people think of this as spyware, others don't. Even though we don't truly know what is being sent back to Kobo servers, it is probably safe to say that they aren't collecting passwords, credit card numbers, and other personal information unless you explicitly provide it to them (say to buy a book). So it probably isn't spyware in that sense.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #60
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
How do I stop it?
A simple hosts file can prevent the device to connect to google-amalytics.
Unzip the attached file to .kobo directory, eject and unplug - the reader will not be able to send any information to google.
(to remove it, you have to do a factory reset)

hosts.zip
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote