Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-11-2005, 05:29 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Do students benefit from whiz-bang gadgetry?

Considering that nowadays most students use laptops to write their papers, and use Google to find the content of their papers, it's seems an important question to ask: Do students really need all that technology? Quoting AP:

Quote:
"The biggest problem that students have is that technology often ends up being a distraction," says Robin Raskin, the founder and former editor of FamilyPC magazine. "In an information society the smart person will be the one who can shut out all the distractions."

Raskin cites an example of a student who searches the Web for information on the French Revolution — and comes up with french toast, french music or french kissing. "A child can spend half the night searching for an answer to one question," Raskin said.
If you are or were a parent, how much of today's technology would you make available to your kids going to high-school?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I'm not a parent, so if/when I have kids it might be 15-20 years from now before they go to high school. I'm completely unable to imagine the evolution of technology landscape over that time. I just hope I'm techy enough to check their homework and help them if I'm able. Maybe we just shutdown internet access for a period of the night while they do their homework "analog style" (with the reading of books and such.)

I'll post then and we'll all laugh about how naive is am now.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
If I had children I would enforce a strict limit on their time spent behind the computer. I'm not convinced that computers can aid much in learning to begin with. It's much more important for young people to develop social skills and become critical thinkers. These kind of things cannot be taught through technology.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
drc54
Enthusiast
drc54 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m515, now TX
One grown up kids, one teenager. Have been around computers since my first home PS/2 model 30 (a 286 box, and that's not PlayStation. IBM always wanted to be different, so they called their PC Personal System). Well, since English is not their first language, they weren't really addicted beyond pac man and digger. Connection was on a 22.8Kbs dial-up using an external US Robotics modem.

One thing for sure, they befriended the computer. So today doing it's easy for them to do their homework, getting information for school project, collaboration with team member on school report, and sending their work for evaluation. It's an indispensible tool. But yes, for the younger kids today, I'd be nervous to let them have the same freedom like my kids have now. I was fortunate to have the technology aged (matured) at the same time as my children.
drc54 is offline   Reply With Quote