Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #31
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
There seems to be some confusion surronding my request for the Canadian import duties.

I'm trying to work out a formula for what a Glo (or other Kobo device) should cost in each country.

To work out the base formula for the costs in Canada, I need to know the import duty charged for an eReader from Taiwan/China into Canada (as a percentage). Once I know this, the base cost of the device in Canada can be determined, and from that, a formula for the rest of the world can be determined (with some level of fuzziness).

I'm presuming that the devices being imported into a country are being directly imported into that country, without passing through Canada first.

In Australia, the 10% GST is the only import fees charged on the eReaders at the border. This GST is not recoverable, so it does become part of the cost basis of the import.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If that is what you are doing, you would have to apply the duty to the dealer/importer price, not the retail price.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #33
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Yes, I know. That's why I want to know the rate.

If you look at the 5th post in this thread, I've applied the Australia import GST to the distributor cost of the device.

In order to work out a formula, I have to figure out the difference between the Canadian and Australian (and other countries) import duties.

The Australian import duties are effectively 10%. If the Canadian is also 10%, then the import fees should not be a factor in the difference in the retail prices. If the Canadian fee is 5%, then there is approx $3-4 of additional cost in Australia.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote