Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #61
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Okay, I just checked and adb doesn't give root in this release.

Does anyone have pointers on how to go about this? I can handle technical information and am willing to experiment.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #62
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
Achoo! lol
--------------------------------------

Good news....for myself. Google Play updated last night Google Maps on my Vox, and it's a little speed demon now! Heehaw.

I got a lovin' happening with my Vox now...and have put off my intention of buying a certain tablet with it being soon to be released. Truly, the Vox is doing everything now that I had wanted in a tablet in the first place, as well as a great, dedicated eReader and book culture.

Most satisfied now, and look forward to even more tweaking from the Kobo Team. If they get rid of, or at least allow you to remove the book pushing onboard....it would be a ten out of ten owner experience for this lad to date.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #63
valar84
valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox + Wifi
Updated recently, and it is truly a great update. Google apps do bring a lot to this device, and my Vox seems to run more smoothly since the update, or at least apps crash less often and the tablet doesn't seem to freeze anymore. It is still no speed demon, but it is much better.
valar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #64
baron604
baron604 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Okay, I just checked and adb doesn't give root in this release.

Does anyone have pointers on how to go about this? I can handle technical information and am willing to experiment.
Pop out the internal sdcard and mount the first ext4 partition on your machine, copy the su binary into /system/bin/ with proper permissions

e.g. chown root:root system/bin/su
chmod 6755 system/bin/su

throw the Superuser.apk into system/app, and you should regain control over your Vox!
baron604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #65
MegaSilver
MegaSilver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Anyone here on the Beta group? I had a Beta update back in April, and I can't get this real update to be seen. Keeps saying I am up to date and no need to upgrade
MegaSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #66
sassy-moi
sassy-moi began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
my vox screen is telling me software upgrade and restarting, then black with icons still lite up. can this be fixed or do i have to ship it off to kobo?
sassy-moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #67
workworkwork
workworkwork began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
VEry pleased so far
workworkwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #68
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Anyone here on the Beta group? I had a Beta update back in April, and I can't get this real update to be seen. Keeps saying I am up to date and no need to upgrade
Megan,

If you haven't got the update yet, you MAY still be able to get it from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5799343/update.zip. One of the members of the beta group had a problem, and this is where Kobo told him to go. After downloading, put it in /mnt/sdcard or /mnt/extsd.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #69
damoose
damoose began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Touch and Vox
Note: If you are using 2 factor authentication you will need an application specific password for G Play on the Vox to setup your exiting google account
damoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #70
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
If you haven't got the update yet, you MAY still be able to get it from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5799343/update.zip. One of the members of the beta group had a problem, and this is where Kobo told him to go. After downloading, put it in /mnt/sdcard or /mnt/extsd.
Thank you for the instructions. I was wondering there Google Play was that was mentioned in this thread. It took me a while to realize I was still on a beta update from April.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #71
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I see Google requires us to log in to use their Marketplace. I find this highly annoying. Well @#$% them. I now have an anonymous John Smith google account on my Vox.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #72
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Have they added netflix to the thing yet?
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #73
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
Have they added netflix to the thing yet?
yes, it's a bit slow loading it up but it plays films without problems, been using it for months
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #74
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
Megan,

Keith
I am still running on the pre-March update version, because I was never able to download the March update successfully (I would've had to go to the site listed above to download it). I've ignored the upgrade messages, because my Vox has been working perfectly AS IS. I don't want to mess with it - esp. now since it will likely no longer be supported after the Arc is launched.

Only problem is that I cannot use Google Play. I use it on my phone and love it. Not sure if I should mess with a good thing - though. I've been happy using it for my Kobo books, Zinio and email. Decisions, decisions...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #75
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I've ignored the upgrade messages, because my Vox has been working perfectly AS IS. I don't want to mess with it - esp. now since it will likely no longer be supported after the Arc is launched.
The Arc's FAQ says they're going to continue to support the Vox.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote