Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Lost my Documents Folder after Jailbreak

OK so I managed to Jailbreak my new Kindle 3.3 B006 3G finally and applied the screensavers and fonts. It says it went OK although I don't see them in the Kindle itself. Only thing is now I don't have any books in the Kindle except the two dictionaries. I can see the Document folder via My Computer and the books and the Welcome thing is still in the Kindle but I can't access them with the Kindle.

What did I do wrong? And how can I fix it?

Thanks, Laura
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Here's hoping it's just the Kindle being slow. It does it to me all the time. Try plugging the Kindle into your computer and then unplugging it again.

While you're there have a look and see if there is anything in the documents folder.

Good-luck! I hope that's it.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The easiest way to get the kindle to "see" the documents folder new files is to restart from the settings menu. There are other ways that can be automated, but restarting is the easiest for a beginner.

I think that there is a hotkey sequence for it too, documented somewhere in the forum. I do not use it myself.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Actually when I restart my computer it can take some time for the documents to show up (if they do without plugging it into my computer and unplugging it again).
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

It went from bad to worse. Well it's not bricked.

I reset to Factory Defaults and now I only have 2 folders. Documents and Music. No Audible. It won't download my books from Amazon even though it recognizes my device at Amazon. I no longer see the special offers bar at the bottom of the page even though it shows it at Amazon.

In the Documents folder I do see the book I downloaded and the Kindle Users Guide but neither are viewable on the Kindle - only through my computer.

All I was trying to do was to be able to use some custom screensavers and fonts. I would have never started this if I'd known it was going to get me this I didn't mind the special offers.

Can anyone send me some software? Or where to DL it to get me back to the original state?

Last edited by allowingtoo; 01-07-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

I've really tried everything I can think of. Hard reset. Register. De Register. Delete the Documents folder and create a new one. Try to Jailbreak again. I really do have a Kindle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Anybody?

Why won't it let me put a picture in here?

Last edited by allowingtoo; 01-08-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

This is my story in a Nutshell:

http://www.justanswer.com/e-readers/...connected.html

I think what I am missing is my Systems Folder. I have no json file.

And yes, I know how to show my hidden files and folders. There's nothing there.

Starting and restarting does not help, nor does plugging and unplugging.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try doing a Factory Reset.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Harry. Thank you Harry. Hard Reset. Factory Reset. Soft Reset. Believe me, I've tried them all. I even took the back off and tried to push the reset button. I've reset this thing so many times..............

I've registered and deregisted.......

Is there a brick wall somewhere for me to beat my head against? Because I really had a very nice Kindle for 2 days until I thought I'd jailbreak it.

I've done a lot of things in my life. I can tear apart a laptop and put it back together easily. I can fix a dryer. I've even managed to fix my refrigerator. I installed Android on my HP TouchPad without bricking it. That's why I "thought" Jailbreak my Kindle?

If I could do it over...........
Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

So if I have access to another Kindle, can I pull off what I need from that Kindle? Is that possible?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

So. I guess the answer is there is no hope and nobody wants to say it. As much as I've Googled for days, this is the only Forum that has anything to do with Kindle Jailbreaking, at least with the Kindle 3. I see it's happened here in the Forum more than once anyway, and they've never gotten a reply either.

It's just so stupid. It works, it's not dead. It's registered. It's just missing files. It's a software problem.

sorry. I'll go away.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People will be able to help you better if you can say exactly which files are missing or modified.

Everybody should backup their root partition /dev/mmcblk0p1 before modifying or adding any potentially damaging scripts. Did you back anything up before modifying your kindle?

Some of us can supply missing files to you after you supply us with a list of files that you need. I cannot give you my entire partition backup because it contains amazon intellectual "Property" (whatever that is).... You can get a backup copy of a kindle 3 root partition from "the bay of pirates" it you really need one to repair your kindle.

WARNING: Some of the "how to" methods around here are incomplete and may lead to a bricked kindle, so you REALLY should do a backup before installing them.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Also, a log dump (;dumpMessages) would probably help understand things better, because that seems kind of extreme if you did nothing more than jb+ss/fonts without any customization.

I've heard of similar issues a few times after duokan installs (which does/did at least mess a bit with the whole userstore loop mount thingy), but not with the jb/ss/fonts, which are pretty conservative regarding to what they actually do to the Kindle system.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
So. I guess the answer is there is no hope and nobody wants to say it. As much as I've Googled for days, this is the only Forum that has anything to do with Kindle Jailbreaking, at least with the Kindle 3. I see it's happened here in the Forum more than once anyway, and they've never gotten a reply either.

It's just so stupid. It works, it's not dead. It's registered. It's just missing files. It's a software problem.

sorry. I'll go away.
You can be helped with your problem if you supply more details, as requested above. You are not being ignored. You are being impatient however. People here are in many different time zones and speak many languages, so you need to be very clear in your meaning to be fully understood. These things take time, and it helps to bump your thread to bring it to the first page of new threads in the Kindle Developers Corner forum. If you have nothing new to say, just add a quick reply to the thread with the message "(bump)".

This is the FIRST time that I have seen your thread even though I have checked this forum multiple times per day every day for the past several months.

The impatience and pessimism indicated by your message will not help. With that attitude, you might as well just put your kindle in the [recycling bin] right now.

We want to help you, but you must help us to help you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-08-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

;dumpMessages doesn't work.

I had to Google it and I found a thread here on what it meant.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=97745&page=3

When I type it in, it just sits there and then it exits and returns to the home screen with the 2 dictionary's.

I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated. I've never messed anything up so badly before. I can't believe I did this.

I'll be glad to send it to one of you if you think you can fix it for me.

The Bay of Pirates thing won't work. It has to be Jailbroken and mine won't accept that anymore.

Last edited by allowingtoo; 01-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.